“good as last emergency option for 2 night max”
Review of Home Backpackers

Home Backpackers
Ranked #36 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I traveled with my sister this time, we needed something cheap for 2 nights. This hostel is desperately asking for renovation!!!
We shared a room with 6 backpackers, who obviously arent familiar with terms such neatness, hygiene, order, etc., I admit thats not a fault of the management.
Beds arent equipped with duvets, you'll get only thin sheet what is useless.
The reception is really tiny, no luggage storage, only 1 computer with internet (its free), on the other hand service of the reception stuff is ok.
My overall ranking is, apparently my last stay at any backpacker ever, Im not kinda backpacker person, or I will rather go for more expensive backpacker to get higher comfort.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank rastikus
There are newer reviews for Home Backpackers

Reviewed September 11, 2012

THE WORST HOSTEL IN SYDNEY.

JUST READ THE REVIEWS

The only review the is good is new and seems a little fishy to me. Everyone hates this place and yet one person decides they love it and give it great reviews. Not a five though because that would seem fishy.

DO NOT ENTER! BE AWARE FELLOW BACKPACKERS

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here long term for a bit while working in Sydney. Staff were really nice and accommodating, and understood with late payments, lost keys (that kind of thing!). They also helped me book some tours for a good rate which was greatly appreciated on a backpacker budget! I understand the place is quite dated and there might be the odd glitch but that's not really the fault of the staff and they do the best they can.

You can't argue with the price and the location. Its perfect for getting to anywhere in Sydney so ideal for long stay and people who are working. There is a really laid back, fun culture and I met some amazing people who will be friends for life. Booked in for Christmas period as I just loved the atmosphere of this place and I'm sure it will be buzzing then. Plus the rates are really good even for that time of year.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Gogirlxx0
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We only stayed one night and that was more then enough! It was dirty, disgusting and falling to bits! There were insects in the room crawling out of the fridge, a dodgy lock on the door and had the vibe of an unsafe place to be! Reception staff were unfriendly and not at all helpful, the girl who served us seemed unable to smile! The bathrooms were clean, but there was no light and the window didn't close! Do not stay here, spend a bit more money so you can have a good nights sleep!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is everything you could ask for from a budget backpackers. The location is perfect - right by central station and within easy walking distance of all the Sydney landmarks. The hostel is cleaned daily and though it isn't fancy decorated is adequate enough and hygienic. The people were all very friendly and laid back and the staff polite and helpful. I don't know what all the negative reviews are about as we had a fine time staying here! And if back in Sydney I wouldn't hesitate to book again! Thanks Home!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jetsetter_48924
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I only needed one night in that "hostel" so I was lucky. What a horrible, dirty, falling apart place. Carpets stained, and torn. In the bedroom the first thing I noticed was noise from the main road. Why? Well the window frame was broke. There was a hole in the frame, I could see outside!!!! Thank God I was so tired, so I fell asleep quite fast. I couldn't wait to get out of there. They state there is "continental breakfast", well, you get toast and jam lol lol. Didn't even bother and ran as fast as I could. Never ever again. That place should actually be banned. Get some hynienist inspection, they will close them down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Teri34
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was looking for cheap accommodation for a short trip to Sydney while I was visiting family in Melbourne. I made the mistake of finding the cheapest place and booking without checking reviews on here (unusual for me). Only after I booked did I read the reviews and immediately regretted my decision. That said, it did prepare me for what was to come.
Luckily the English girl at reception was actually quite friendly and helpful, perhaps a different girl from other reviews seen here? I had paid for a double room with ensuite, but was initially placed in a private double which smelled like vomit. Happily, I was given my proper room on the other side of the building which was somewhat more pleasant smelling if somewhat dark and dreary. The room was not very clean looking: the carpet was stained, dirty and fraying. The vinyl next to the small sink in the room was also very dirty. The ensuite was cramped, so much so that I had to stand a couple of feet away from the toilet (male) because the proximity of the shower cubicle was such that there was no standing room close to the toilet. The windows were reluctant to close and were also very dirty. At least the sheets seemed clean and so far I haven't discovered any bites from unwanted guests. That said, I spent most of my first night wondering if there was anything sharing the bed with me.
At night I found it hard to sleep because of the drone from the air-con units at the back of the buildings I had the privilege of looking out my window upon. The lock on the door also seemed so flimsy that a good shove would break it. I made sure I always had all of my valuables on my person when I wasn't going to be in my room.
They proudly claim that there is entertainment every night but dot tell you that some of it is in the local bars. Also, Saturday night is drinking games night on the outdoor deck, which I thought odd because it closes at 9pm...or so I thought. I don't think the party stopped until weeeeeell into the small hours of the morning, luckily I brought earplugs.
On the whole I thought the place was not very clean and had a profound sense of unease at the security of the rooms and building. Oddly enough when I was using the computer in reception I overheard the staff talking about someone else staying in the hostel who had voiced their concerns about the room quality amongst other things. The staff were not particularly bothered and I quote "if you want a nice fluffy duvet go and stay in a $200 hotel, you're paying $25 a night". Sums a lot up I think.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Versusthevoid
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Surry Hills
Inner West
Wake Up! Sydney
Wake Up! Sydney
#4 of 143 in Sydney

Been to Home Backpackers? Share your experiences!