“If you love yourself, don't stay there!!!”
Review of Home Backpackers

Home Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I only needed one night in that "hostel" so I was lucky. What a horrible, dirty, falling apart place. Carpets stained, and torn. In the bedroom the first thing I noticed was noise from the main road. Why? Well the window frame was broke. There was a hole in the frame, I could see outside!!!! Thank God I was so tired, so I fell asleep quite fast. I couldn't wait to get out of there. They state there is "continental breakfast", well, you get toast and jam lol lol. Didn't even bother and ran as fast as I could. Never ever again. That place should actually be banned. Get some hynienist inspection, they will close them down.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Teri34
There are newer reviews for Home Backpackers

Reviewed July 15, 2012

I was looking for cheap accommodation for a short trip to Sydney while I was visiting family in Melbourne. I made the mistake of finding the cheapest place and booking without checking reviews on here (unusual for me). Only after I booked did I read the reviews and immediately regretted my decision. That said, it did prepare me for what was to come.
Luckily the English girl at reception was actually quite friendly and helpful, perhaps a different girl from other reviews seen here? I had paid for a double room with ensuite, but was initially placed in a private double which smelled like vomit. Happily, I was given my proper room on the other side of the building which was somewhat more pleasant smelling if somewhat dark and dreary. The room was not very clean looking: the carpet was stained, dirty and fraying. The vinyl next to the small sink in the room was also very dirty. The ensuite was cramped, so much so that I had to stand a couple of feet away from the toilet (male) because the proximity of the shower cubicle was such that there was no standing room close to the toilet. The windows were reluctant to close and were also very dirty. At least the sheets seemed clean and so far I haven't discovered any bites from unwanted guests. That said, I spent most of my first night wondering if there was anything sharing the bed with me.
At night I found it hard to sleep because of the drone from the air-con units at the back of the buildings I had the privilege of looking out my window upon. The lock on the door also seemed so flimsy that a good shove would break it. I made sure I always had all of my valuables on my person when I wasn't going to be in my room.
They proudly claim that there is entertainment every night but dot tell you that some of it is in the local bars. Also, Saturday night is drinking games night on the outdoor deck, which I thought odd because it closes at 9pm...or so I thought. I don't think the party stopped until weeeeeell into the small hours of the morning, luckily I brought earplugs.
On the whole I thought the place was not very clean and had a profound sense of unease at the security of the rooms and building. Oddly enough when I was using the computer in reception I overheard the staff talking about someone else staying in the hostel who had voiced their concerns about the room quality amongst other things. The staff were not particularly bothered and I quote "if you want a nice fluffy duvet go and stay in a $200 hotel, you're paying $25 a night". Sums a lot up I think.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Versusthevoid
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Stayed here the last week in Australia, so I had stayed in quite a lot of hostels and this one is rather at the extremely bad end of the scale (maybe the worst).
Rooms are dark and smell, ceiling has a problem with withholding rain and worst of all: bedbugs. Luckily I didn't get any, but I met a few people that fell asleep in the TV room and woke up red all over, same in the rooms.
Having said that, I did enjoy my time at this hostel, its small and personal so you get to know the people there (if you want to), the kitchen was allright, its a bit more like an anarchistic squad than a hostel.
Btw if you mean the same english girl at the reception that I had, she really is rather desinterested, but when you talk to her after hours she's quite nice ;)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Where to begin, my friend and I both arrived separately and both were welcomed by an unhelpful, rude and disinterested blonde English receptionist who wouldn't even show us locations on a map and preferred to brush us aside to the brochures stand. Then we were told, not shown, our room which was dirty beyond recognition, smelled of one weeks body odour and worst of all the sheets from the previous nights occupant were still on my bed. After asking to be shown a free bed, Which again was told to us at reception as no one seemed bothered to come look at the room, we decided that it would be a crime against humanity to stay and we asked to be moved. The owner did let us upgrade without cost which was nice. Overall, a very poor effort of a hostel which is badly run with only the depressed cleaners being the only visible people who work there. Finally we asked for our bags to stored for the day because we were getting an overnight bus...of course there was no storage room even though the station is a five min walk. Worst hostel I've seen worldwide. The one good thing is there was no bed bugs, because even they won't live in that hell hole.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Flagsoftheworld
Reviewed May 4, 2012

I checked in to the hostel Jan 2nd 2012, when I went to the receptionist, it was an English girl, she was so rude, didn't even smile to say hello, It was a terrible welcome to Australia. My room stunk so bad and it was so dark, even in daylight. The hostels is packed with only English people and they are so rude and snubby. all the staff members are rude English backpackers. I don't even think the owner is in Australia, no professional educated staff works here. the staffs here are just crazy rude English backpackers that just wanna get drunk all night and then go back to work in the morning with a hangover. the kitchen is never cleaned, beds have no protector, the rooms are congested and smelly. peoples things get stolen all the time, the bathrooms are filthy and dirty, not enough staff to clean them, all the staff just drink goon every night and act immature. so many bedbugs you see them crawling on you. no internet, no free breakfast and rude service. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was our first stay in backpacker accomodation, so by default it was the best backpacker hostel we've ever stayed in. Sadly that's where the positive comments end. From the moment we stepped into our room we began to regret it. The room was dirty, dreary and dispiriting. It smelt like a rugby team had spent a week sweating and farting in there and a single wall mounted fan buzzed pathetically in a futile attempt to cool the clammy, stale air. Throughout the night, thuds of people on the stairs and the thought of being eaten alive by bedbugs kept us awake, so the savings we made on cheap accomdation were definately outweighed by the costs. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Thanks to this dirty and disgusting place, I now have bed bugs in my home. Turns out my not so expensive accommodation was expensive as I had to pay for an exterminator. I couldnt be more angry and upset. So a big thanks to home backpackers for costing me my money and sanity.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Danni888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Surry Hills
Inner West
Wake Up! Sydney
Wake Up! Sydney
#4 of 143 in Sydney

Been to Home Backpackers? Share your experiences!