“It's so dirty even the rats won't stay there, absolute dump of a place”
Review of Home Backpackers

Home Backpackers
Ranked #38 of 143 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Where to begin, my friend and I both arrived separately and both were welcomed by an unhelpful, rude and disinterested blonde English receptionist who wouldn't even show us locations on a map and preferred to brush us aside to the brochures stand. Then we were told, not shown, our room which was dirty beyond recognition, smelled of one weeks body odour and worst of all the sheets from the previous nights occupant were still on my bed. After asking to be shown a free bed, Which again was told to us at reception as no one seemed bothered to come look at the room, we decided that it would be a crime against humanity to stay and we asked to be moved. The owner did let us upgrade without cost which was nice. Overall, a very poor effort of a hostel which is badly run with only the depressed cleaners being the only visible people who work there. Finally we asked for our bags to stored for the day because we were getting an overnight bus...of course there was no storage room even though the station is a five min walk. Worst hostel I've seen worldwide. The one good thing is there was no bed bugs, because even they won't live in that hell hole.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Flagsoftheworld
There are newer reviews for Home Backpackers

Reviewed May 4, 2012

I checked in to the hostel Jan 2nd 2012, when I went to the receptionist, it was an English girl, she was so rude, didn't even smile to say hello, It was a terrible welcome to Australia. My room stunk so bad and it was so dark, even in daylight. The hostels is packed with only English people and they are so rude and snubby. all the staff members are rude English backpackers. I don't even think the owner is in Australia, no professional educated staff works here. the staffs here are just crazy rude English backpackers that just wanna get drunk all night and then go back to work in the morning with a hangover. the kitchen is never cleaned, beds have no protector, the rooms are congested and smelly. peoples things get stolen all the time, the bathrooms are filthy and dirty, not enough staff to clean them, all the staff just drink goon every night and act immature. so many bedbugs you see them crawling on you. no internet, no free breakfast and rude service. Don't stay here.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was our first stay in backpacker accomodation, so by default it was the best backpacker hostel we've ever stayed in. Sadly that's where the positive comments end. From the moment we stepped into our room we began to regret it. The room was dirty, dreary and dispiriting. It smelt like a rugby team had spent a week sweating and farting in there and a single wall mounted fan buzzed pathetically in a futile attempt to cool the clammy, stale air. Throughout the night, thuds of people on the stairs and the thought of being eaten alive by bedbugs kept us awake, so the savings we made on cheap accomdation were definately outweighed by the costs. Never again.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 30, 2012

Thanks to this dirty and disgusting place, I now have bed bugs in my home. Turns out my not so expensive accommodation was expensive as I had to pay for an exterminator. I couldnt be more angry and upset. So a big thanks to home backpackers for costing me my money and sanity.

• Stayed: January 2012
1  Thank Danni888
Reviewed January 18, 2012

The place was dirty, old and loud. I only stayed because it was the only place i could find for a couple days that would let me stay during the busy restricted xmas season. I knew from reading on here that it wouldn't be luxury and got just that. It was sufficient though and the location was still good. I wouldn't avoid it at all costs but lower your expectations from other hostels when you have to go there.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed January 9, 2012

No fan as mentionned on the website, but extra guests in the room : cockroaches and bed bugs!
Needless to say the place was dirty!!!
And they expect YOU to get dirty: 2 showers for girls (with see-through glass!), 2 for guys (no lights in these) and 1 shared...
Only good thing is it's central

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 6, 2012

me and my boyfriend enjoyed the stay here. when we first arrived to the reception we was worried that it would not be nice inside but it was nice we had our room here. there was bread, jam and sugar and tea, and coffe every morning and left for your use all day. the reception guy there was really helpfull to, we stayed here for about 3 weeks in total.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sydney
Surry Hills
Inner West
Wake Up! Sydney
Wake Up! Sydney
#4 of 143 in Sydney

Been to Home Backpackers? Share your experiences!