“An "in" restaurant with great harbour views and good food”
Review of Cafe Sydney

Cafe Sydney
Ranked #51 of 6,527 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed April 25, 2014

The food, service and ambience were excellent and there is a fabulous wine list but unfortunately the wine prices are way over the top meaning that most diners would likely choose by price rather than quality due to the very high markups.

1  Thank MatthewJames2009
Write a ReviewReviews (3,482)

Reviewed April 25, 2014

I decided to go here as I thought it would be a good location to propose! The food and view were amazing. I had the pork main which was lovely. The sangria was also very good. It was the view and atmosphere that made the night and ideal for a proposal. Great place but the most expensive meal on my trip to oz!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

We had booked a table on the balcony because this is the best seating for the view. On the night it's was raining and cold and the outdoor terrace area isn't pleasant under these conditions. The restaurant was so heavily booked we couldn't be seated inside at the same time so braved the weather. Overall the food was good,well presented but nothing extra special. As the restaurant was busy the service wasn't as attentive as it should be for a place of this calibre.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Let me start with the best part of this dining experience. The location and overall ambiance is fantastic. I would recommend a visit to Café Sydney for the location alone.

But for me, food and service are the other two parts of the dining trilogy. The food was very good although not memorable. I did enjoy the ocean trout I had for my main, and oysters I ordered for my appetizer were nicely presented.

The big miss at Café Sydney was the service. It was not rude or pretentious, but it was definitely ambivalent. Specials were written on a piece of paper and placed on the table with no explanation or attempt by our waiter to entice us try the specials. Once our order had been taken she was ready to leave and I had to ask her to take our order for a bottle of wine. I enjoy the interaction with restaurant staff and enjoy hearing their favourites and friendly conversation. I realize that we all have bad days, and perhaps that was all this was, so I take the experience with a grain of salt.

Café Sydney is reasonably priced for the restaurant genre and I would recommend anyone to visit at least once.

1  Thank gcameron
Reviewed April 22, 2014

Great food and location. Service was good, but not great. We had a party of 9 and were at a table just inside from the patio and so had wonderful views of the harbor. Eating out is just expensive in Australia, although sharing the large portions helps and keeps from wasting the food. Definitely need reservations. Don't miss the wonderful model of the city in the lobby of the building.

1  Thank SusanC2016