“Is This Place Often Booked Out in Advance? Come See Why.”
Review of Cafe Sydney

Cafe Sydney
Ranked #51 of 6,527 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

This place is a taste sensation like not very many places I have been before. We had a booking for 6pm for four people and when we showed up we were seated and our drinks order was taken shortly after. (Tip: try the white Sangria. Yum.)
Our food orders were taken shortly after the drinks came out and I ordered the duck. Sweet lord, do yourself a favour and order the duck. It was divine. Cooked to perfection and falling off the bone, it was accompanied by delicious sides that perfectly complemented the meal. I enjoyed every bite and could have had it again.
Desserts were ordered soon after the plates were cleared from dinner and I knew what I wanted straight away. GET THE SALTED CARAMEL TART! Just do it. Do yourself a favour. Eat that.

Overall: You do have to book miles in advance and it isn't a cheap meal but the food and the view are worth it and I would visit it again. Yes, you have an allotted time but we had time to dine and chat merrily away and never felt rushed. Highly recommended.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,482)

Reviewed December 27, 2013

There were 6 of us dining here on Friday night. We were seated on the balcony and decided that it is the ONLY place to dine if you were to come here! The dining room inside was noisy and dark but once you were outside, it was fresh and the view- absolutely amazing! As soon as we stepped out, my family were arhhing and wowed beyond belief.
The food was great but not the best I have ever had. We had Crab cakes, tomato salad, scallops, quail, steak, duck fat potatoes and salad and vegetables on the side. We also had fries but they were below standard of fine dining (they were overcooked)I actually thought my main was quite small. I was not full by the end of the meal. Prices are very high, but that is what you would expect with a restaurant of this calibre in Sydney. Overall, we had a fabulous time and I am very glad that I got to show off Sydney in style.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Some friends were visiting Sydney from Timor Leste. We had little time and we wanted them to see Sydney at its best. Some really cool younger friends recommended Cafe Sydney. This restaurant was a good choice because it had excellence in the View box; Ambiance, and menu could wait. In fact this must be one of the best night time views of Sydney Harbour ever, and I would venture to say that this is the most outstanding feature: the view. And this was just what we were looking for. Getting to the restaurant by lift can be a bit disorienting. Once there, we were ushered to upholstered cubes in a very dark area for pre-dinner drinks while we waited for our table to become available. The area was so dark that it was an impediment to discourse, I have to say. In fact my overall experience of this restaurant was that it was too dark, but that just may be idiosyncratically me. The menu was unremarkable for a restaurant in this position in the market and was dominated by the view. If I found myself suffering from cumulative memory loss, then the one remaining memory of this restaurant was going to be the view. So, in summary: overly expensive pre-dinner drinks in an environment that was unsettlingly dark; a menu that was competent but not memorable; and, a view that was sensational. I probably wouldn't be in a hurry to go back there, but I am glad we chose this restaurant because it delivered on our most important criterion: a sensational view of Sydney Harbour by Night.

Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Maybe it's close to Christmas so everyone in the restaurant were like partying, enjoying life:)

Again we booked in advance and please choose outdoor as you can have the look of the Harbour Bridge.

Food - we tried the crab cake and seared scallop as appetizers and then the fish and crispy baked pork as mains, nice especially the pork, taste and texture were impressive!

A romantic experience that you will remember!

Reviewed December 20, 2013

Visited this restaurant with my husband and mum to celebrate my birthday on perhaps the wettest night of the year. The outside seating that my husband had specifically requested suddenly seemed like a terrible idea. However we had nothing to worry about. We were shown to our table on the (covered!!) balcony and straight away we were offered blankets and a heater was turned on. Our waiter was excellent (I think he was South American) and really couldn't do enough for us, even showing me a 'bug' from the kitchen as I had no idea what one was! The food was outstanding. Yes it was very expensive, the wine especially, but as it was a special occasion we didn't mind paying. A must for diners looking for that something 'special'.