“Wonderful Place” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Sydney

Cafe Sydney
Ranked #23 of 5,822 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Sydney, Australia
“Wonderful Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

Cafe Sydney is a wonderful restaurtant, the service, the view, the atmosphere and the food is all top class. One of my Sydney favorites.

• Visited May 2013

• Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
“A lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Went there for a family reunion lunch and had a lovely time food,service,and atmosphere were great.It has great views and the seating is lovely.

Visited June 2012
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing View and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The restaurant is in the old customs building and when you walk thru the lobby floor there is a scale model of Sydney under glass under your feet.
We had made a reservation and were seated immediately. The restaurant is quite large, we were lucky to be seated "up front" and had a view of the Harbor bridge & Opera House, quite lovely.
The food was marvelous. Appetizers, husband had scallops, I had the special baby octopus with chili lemon vinagrette. Mains, husband had tandori trout, I had duck leg with froi gros sausage in a cherry sauce. We also had wine by the glass with dinner. Desserts husband had apricot & pound cake with vanilla ice cream. I had double chocolate with orange sorbet.
We were both very pleased with the service and the food.
Yes the tables are a little close together and it is expensive but you get what you pay for and we got an excellent meal.

• Visited March 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cafe Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful atmosphere! Wonderful views! Beetroot tart amazing. ..on to the tandoori trout...superb! Service 10/10. No need to say more!

Singapore, Singapore
“Elegant, Classy, but......Not a Tourist-Friendly Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

After a tiring day of our trip in Sydney, two of us who just arrived Circular Quay via ferry had no idea where to dine. Due to the windy day and the high ranking of Cafe Sydney in this website, I insisted we should give it a try.

I have to say, that's a hasty decision.

The cafe is indeed a classy fine dining place with undefeated view. But we definitely should have done more research so that at least we would not be dining there with sweaters and sports shoes. I must say, we felt silly and awkward when everybody else in the restaurant were formally dressed.

And maybe, just maybe, because of that, we were not being served properly. While waiting for a seat, the reception lady gave us a very rude response, which I quote “I do have a table now (6.50pm), but we want it back by 7.45pm, can you two do that?" I mean, seriously, WTH?

The waiter that served us also had an attitude, which he keeps claiming that he couldn't understand what I was talking about, and giving me a strange look.

My girlfriend ordered a Berkshire pork and I ordered a twice cooked duck leg with chips as the side. The food has nothing special. Our waiter was very unhappy when he removed the wine glasses from our table as both of us only ordered beer. Due to the unpleasant experience that we had, and, if you still remembered, we had to leave by 7.45pm, we did not order any dessert.

I must say that prices of alcohol and main food are reasonable, consider its ambiance and geographical location. And I might be an exception in this group who give a poor rate for this restaurant.

But what I try to say here is that despite it's high ranking, this is NOT a place which you can just enter with your camera, hoping the restaurant staff can take a photo for you with the lovely food and scenery. People come here with occasion, either they are couples expecting a romantic evening, or businessmen who come here celebrating their successful partnership. If you are not Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp but just an normal tourist like us, who are expecting a more unrestrained dining experience, this is NOT the place that you should come. You can have a more comfortable meal at anywhere else near the Opera House, which you can have almost the same scenery and cheaper price.

Anyway, they should really learn how to serve people better. Especially to non-local like me.

• Visited April 2013