“Amazing View and Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Sydney

Cafe Sydney
Ranked #23 of 5,822 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Los Angeles, California
“Amazing View and Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

The restaurant is in the old customs building and when you walk thru the lobby floor there is a scale model of Sydney under glass under your feet.
We had made a reservation and were seated immediately. The restaurant is quite large, we were lucky to be seated "up front" and had a view of the Harbor bridge & Opera House, quite lovely.
The food was marvelous. Appetizers, husband had scallops, I had the special baby octopus with chili lemon vinagrette. Mains, husband had tandori trout, I had duck leg with froi gros sausage in a cherry sauce. We also had wine by the glass with dinner. Desserts husband had apricot & pound cake with vanilla ice cream. I had double chocolate with orange sorbet.
We were both very pleased with the service and the food.
Yes the tables are a little close together and it is expensive but you get what you pay for and we got an excellent meal.

• Visited March 2013

Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cafe Sydney”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Wonderful atmosphere! Wonderful views! Beetroot tart amazing. ..on to the tandoori trout...superb! Service 10/10. No need to say more!

Singapore, Singapore
“Elegant, Classy, but......Not a Tourist-Friendly Restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

After a tiring day of our trip in Sydney, two of us who just arrived Circular Quay via ferry had no idea where to dine. Due to the windy day and the high ranking of Cafe Sydney in this website, I insisted we should give it a try.

I have to say, that's a hasty decision.

The cafe is indeed a classy fine dining place with undefeated view. But we definitely should have done more research so that at least we would not be dining there with sweaters and sports shoes. I must say, we felt silly and awkward when everybody else in the restaurant were formally dressed.

And maybe, just maybe, because of that, we were not being served properly. While waiting for a seat, the reception lady gave us a very rude response, which I quote “I do have a table now (6.50pm), but we want it back by 7.45pm, can you two do that?" I mean, seriously, WTH?

The waiter that served us also had an attitude, which he keeps claiming that he couldn't understand what I was talking about, and giving me a strange look.

My girlfriend ordered a Berkshire pork and I ordered a twice cooked duck leg with chips as the side. The food has nothing special. Our waiter was very unhappy when he removed the wine glasses from our table as both of us only ordered beer. Due to the unpleasant experience that we had, and, if you still remembered, we had to leave by 7.45pm, we did not order any dessert.

I must say that prices of alcohol and main food are reasonable, consider its ambiance and geographical location. And I might be an exception in this group who give a poor rate for this restaurant.

But what I try to say here is that despite it's high ranking, this is NOT a place which you can just enter with your camera, hoping the restaurant staff can take a photo for you with the lovely food and scenery. People come here with occasion, either they are couples expecting a romantic evening, or businessmen who come here celebrating their successful partnership. If you are not Angelina Jolie and Johnny Depp but just an normal tourist like us, who are expecting a more unrestrained dining experience, this is NOT the place that you should come. You can have a more comfortable meal at anywhere else near the Opera House, which you can have almost the same scenery and cheaper price.

Anyway, they should really learn how to serve people better. Especially to non-local like me.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank yiyayi
Melbourne
“Beautiful Meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

As much as the food made this place special, the views and ambience really set the bar. We had to book a few days in advance to get a seaing @ 5:30pm on a Wednesday but it was worth it. After recieving great reviews pretty much everywhere our family decided to try this on our last night in Sydney and we were not dissapointed. The food was fantastic, the views amazing, the service was attentive yet not in your face or to the point of invasive and it was a meal our family will never forget. It is a bit on the expensive side but when you way up the location the atmosphere and the food, its good value.

Visited April 2013
Madrid, Spain
“SMALLEST TABLE IN SYDNEY”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

Three of us dinned in Cafe Sydney this week on the smallest table I have ever been seated at. It was probably just big enough for two. Once the white wine glasses, red wine glasses and water glasses were on the table there was barely enough room to place their cosy glowing candle. We really wondered where the food was going to go when it arrived. Perhaps on our laps! The meal was definitely spoilt by the ridiculous lack of space on this small table. Every course ordered was stressful not to mention the difficulty of actually lifting and replacing the wine glasses without knocking something over. They pack them in here - there is so little space between the tables that wait staff were bumping into our chairs throughout the evening. Please Cafe Sydney think about the "comfort'' of your customers. Quality not quantity!

• Visited May 2013