“LOVED THE VIEW”

Cafe Sydney
Ranked #27 of 6,070 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: European, Seafood, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed February 13, 2013

What a fabulous view! One of the best views a restaurant/cafe offers. And together with their fabulous food which I would score 10/10 for each appetiser/main & dessert that I consumed, this place is a winner. No wonder it was full house for lunch on a Wednesday!

We booked 4 weeks in advance for a Birthday celebration luncheon, and I've heard you do need to book at least 1-2 weeks in advance especially for the dinner sitting.

We sat out on the terrace, and if you can, I suggest you sit out there too. The weather was fab the day we went, but they do have cover & cafe blinds to shield bad weather.

The service was 10/10 as well. Not over bearing at all, just very attentive. Meals came out quite timely, around 15min break between taking prior finished meal to next meal being served. We only had two hours to spare for lunch....and it was perfectly timed having all three courses.

The food is of such high quality, and the tastes are sensational. Savouring every mouthful was an enjoyable experience!! This is a place that you need to dine at.....more than once in your life! Noting that my mother in-law mentioned that this was the first cafe/restaurant that got her coffee order perfect in 60yrs of her life!

The last time I had dined at Cafe Sydney was back in 2009 and its still just as sensational as it was back then! I'm not sure why I haven't been back for so long....as so many other places have been a let down!

Appetisers are approx $18, Mains approx $29-39, Desserts approx $17. Our total for the 3 of us, 3 course meals each & including drinks & coffee/teas came to $280. Worth every single cent!!

Reviewed February 13, 2013

A great view, with food, wine and staff to match. We met a friend for supper whilst holidaying in Sydney, great atmosphere and a good place to people watch.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Is this one of the best views from a restaurant in Sydney? Hard to beat. And the food matches the view, excellent, with a list of daily specials as well. Service is crisp, but not over bearing and i really cant fault it in any way. Make sure you book way in advance and if ask to sit on the terrace, if the weather is inclement they will relocate you inside or put the clear plastic blinds down. Great way to showcase Sydney for out of towners.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

A dinner date for two, and it was just perfect. The staff efficient and knowledgeable, the food was delicious and well presented. The view over the harbour and ambience however is what makes Cafe Sydney so special. You would have to search far and wide to come up with a romantic destination that has all of these elements and combines them so well. We went on a Monday night and could only secure a table from 9pm which was fine for us, but it underlines the popularity of Cafe Sydney, so book well in advance!!!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

My husband and I dined here on the day that it reached 115 degrees! It didn't matter where you went on this day, it was hot. It was hot when we arrived early for our reservation to have a drink in their bar area and it was hot during our entire dinner. Although the temperature definitely had an impact on our experience it did not take away anything from our enjoyment of this gem. You're sitting with incredible views of the Sydney Harbour Bridge and if you look the other way you can just see the Opera House peeking into your line of sight. Their service was exemplary from start to finish. The poor staff had to be suffering in the intense heat but they made the most of it by joking with customers and handing out little hand fans to the ladies in an effort to create some sort of breeze.

I ordered the Queensland Prawns and although this was quite good, it couldn't begin to compare to the Crispy Pressed Berkshire Pork that my husband ordered. It was absolutely incredible not to mention beautifully presented. The wine steward was very informed and helpful as we tried to get familiar with some of the unknown Australian wines. He helped us make a choice that complemented our dinner perfectly.

I definitely give this establishment a thumbs up and would suggest you make room for this on your itinerary. You will definitely need reservations as this appears to be a local favorite in addition to a must for tourists.