“Very enjoyable start to our evening at the Sydney Opera House”
Review of Guillaume at Bennelong - CLOSED

Guillaume at Bennelong
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed February 27, 2013

On our first evening in Sydney, we felt fortunate to book the opera, and so also booked this restaurant in the Opera House, and we were very glad we did. In the email booking, I requested window table, and at 6 pm we were given an excellent table with a beautiful view of the Circular Quay and city on a fabulous sunny evening. The service was faultless and the food memorable: a fig, goat's cheese and heirloom tomato salad to start, a delicious fish fillet with girolles, braised fennel and foam sauce, and a scrumptious creme brulee with passionfruit sorbet. It was a fixed price menu at about $75, I think, for the three courses. Well worth it, and a lovely start to the evening.

There are newer reviews for Guillaume at Bennelong

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Worst dining experiance I have ever had.
1/ Ate at the outside bar and was seated at a seat facing away form partner and the seat was fix at ninty degrees from the table.
2/ Was served tiny portions of crab sandwich $20 (white bread and tined crab) and beef which was 7 pieces of 3/4 inch cubes of beef in sauce $31 (nothing else was served on the plates).
3/ Asked to provide my credit card as security prior to providing service.
4/ Was not provided with cutlery or serviettes.
5/ Could not get attention of the waite staff.
6/ Tried to pay bill kepted waiting for over 1/2 hour.
7/ I paid cash for the drinks at bar but then later they tried to charge for them again.
8/ Total bill came to $181 but they were unable to explain how or what I was served.
9/ After long wait the manager excused the bill and said sorry.
10/ A week later the restaurant ileagly charge my credit card $141.

Would strongly recomend anybody against ever eating there.

3  Thank Huon L
Reviewed February 14, 2013

It is worth going to Guillaume at Bennelong simply to dine in one of Australia’s most iconic buildings. I have previously dined at Quay where I could take in the view of the Opera House and Harbour Bridge from my table. This time, I was dining ‘in’ the view and the building is just as impressive from the inside as it is from the outside.

The service was impeccable – attentive and conversational, without being overly familiar. The good service was accompanied by very nice food.

We started the evening with two cocktails – a vodka martini and a gin martini, with several popular vodkas and gins on offer. The cocktails were quite reasonably priced, considering the venue.

We then had the four-course menu along with a bottle of pinot noir. There was a good range of food on offer, including yellow fin tuna, summer vegetables, duck, scallops, beef, snapper, tortellini and lamb, so there is bound to be a dish in each course that would suit most people. The sourdough bread that accompanied the meal was amazing, and it was nice to be offered Paris mash and a leafy salad with the main course, rather than having to order them as separate side dishes.

We finished the evening with some summery desserts that weren’t too heavy or overly sweet, and then topped it off with two glasses of a quality Pedro Ximenez.

All up, I spent about $500 for two people. This is not too much to pay for the experience of eating top quality food in an amazing location.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

We are experienced travellers (not tourists) and live in Sydney. We went for the food, as the view is available to us at any time. We found the brioche served more like hard-tak and burnt, which was a poor introduction. We were attending a performance at the Opera House to opted for the two-course pre-performance package. The food we had was well presented and tasted just a nice, but we found the wait staff to be non-attentive and a little more pretentious that was really appropriate IMO. We had pre-paid for our meal, so didn't expect to be treated a little like second-class visitors, but it appears that we were when we saw some of the service lavished on large business groups (who were obviously regular visitors). My money is worth the same! When we left we were charged (again) for our pre-paid dinner. This is not what we expected as 'service' from a hatted restaurant. We left, feeling worthless, unwanted and cheapened by the whole sad experience. If you are going for the food, then by all means go. But the service was not what we expected. The view is, of course, world-class, but you could eat some of your own sandwiches on the steps of the Opera House and enjoy the same view. We didn't come for the view - we came for a special experience, and we didn't get it.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have eaten here on half a dozen occasions and it always delights. It is quite expensive but it's worth it IMO. I have read a couple of the reviews saying Terrible! I can't understand it at all. Everyone's entitled to their opinion of course but I would highly recommend it. It's great in summer - have pre-dinner drinks at the Opera Bar and afterwards maybe stop for an ice cream on the way back along the Harbour foreshore