“Different thai”

Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Different thai”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My take on this restaurant is that it is trying to be an authentic modern thai restaurant, and so there are a lot of dishes you don't normally see in thai restaurant. The food is usually very good, they can occasional be inconsistent, maybe I was unlucky and got new staff on a weekday and this was at their pitt street location. I have heard some people complain about the menu being to big (weird criticism, but it is big). So people may have not like the service, I have seen them move people around mid meal, which I think is not really professional, but I would probable be OK with it my self. Best dishes are the bpla raadt prik (whole snapper with chillies and garlic), yum nuea (which is described as beef salad, but is more like a beef dish with fresh salad vegetables instead of cooked that you have with rice.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
NSW Australia
“Great Thai!!”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We read about Chat Thai in an inflight magazine as a place Sydney Chefs would go and eat. We waited half an hour to get in but once seated the service was quick and the food was beautiful and well priced. It is very Thai street food and the restaurant is bustling with people enjoying great food and a great atmosphere. Pork Belly is yum!!

• Visited July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“Best Thai I've been to in Australia!”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

This is a buzzing place with heaps of atmosphere - crowded but very friendly & efficient with amazing food & good value.
On a recent 3 day business trip to Sydney we stumbled across CT as we were walking home to our hotel on a Sunday night. At 10.30pm there was a line-up in front of the door for people to dine. It was then that we decided we needed to try this restaurant the next day.
We weren't disappointed!
We were sitting on small stools, shoulder to shoulder next to other patrons on the mezzanine floor of this tiny hole in the wall. Being able to see other people's meals go past helped us make decisions. The food was delicious, interesting & fresh. They also specialise in Thai desserts & they have an impressive number of choices.
There's no point in naming specific dishes to try. If you're a lover of Thai you'll get excited reading the extensive menu. So I'll leave it up to your pleasure.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank WinemakerGlen
La Crosse, Wisconsin
“I guess the name fits...”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I had flown into Sydney very early on the day of my visit, so my meal schedule was running pretty early throughout the day. This was good for this busy restaurant, since I made it in without a wait at around 5:00pm. I noticed that the line quickly began to grow behind me. The food was pretty good, although not the best Thai I have ever had. The prices were also reasonable, especially for Sydney. The service was fairly slow, but I think that this was partly due to the fact that they were busy, but also due to the fact that I kept seeing the waiters standing around playing with their smartphones. I had never before seen this in a restaurant, so I guess I had never really thought about how distracting it could be. I assume most restaurant owners/mangers will not allow the restaurant staff to carry their cell phones around while they are working. Not the case here - there was definitely plenty of staff "chatting" online at Chat Thai...

• Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Shhhh. Don't tell anyone”
Reviewed July 17, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here prior to seeing seething at the Capitol theatre across the road. I got there 30 minutes early and it was lucky I did because even at 6.00pm there is a considerable queue for a table which only gets longer as the evening progresses.
And it's easy to see why. The extensive food menu is full of hits. We had prawn cakes to start followed by the crispy pork belly and green papaya with soft shell crab. All dishes just so delicious and well-priced.
On the down side, we the tables are VERY close together and we ended up on small stools rather than real chairs. The wine list is very limited and drinks generally a little pricey compared with the food, but as the food is spicy a beer fits the bill well.
I will certainly be going back. Wonderful food and great value. Service also fine.

Visited July 2013