“First time staying in a hostel!!”
Review of 790 on George

790 on George
Ranked #66 of 149 Specialty Lodging in Sydney
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This is going to be very tricky to review as I am used to hotels and have never stayed in a hostel before so have nothing to compare it to, but i’ll do my best to tell my own personal opinion. I paid roughly £450 for 15 nights in a private room at 790, this is one of the more expensive rooms, but the hostel also has 4 and 6 bed dorms at a much cheaper price for backpackers on a budget. My partner who I went to Sydney to meet up with had been backpacking for the past 7 months, so it was a bit strange me being in holiday mode and having more disposable money, while he was living the backpacker lifestyle in different cheap hostels. I was definitely not impressed with the room, it was very very basic, but I am told that as hostels go, the room was good. We had a bunk bed, with double mattress on the bottom and single on top, so the room could have had 3 people if needed. The only furniture in the small room apart from the bed was a tall cupboard and single chair. My suitcase fitted under the bed which was lucky, as there would have been no where else to store it. It was a bit awkward to get to the cupboard, as it was at the end of the bunk beds, with the chair in the small corridor next to the beds, so you did have to squeeze past the chair to get to it. In the 2 weeks we were there the room was not serviced at all, including the bin not being emptied – although the multi bed dorms had their bins emptied by the cleaning team regularly, so whether they just forgot us im not sure? We had a shared bathroom with the rest of the floor – one for females and one for males that were only accessible with the room cards to keep separate sexes private. In the female bathroom on the 7th floor there were 2 lockable shower cubicles, 2 toilets and 2 sinks. There was a hair dryer on the wall, but it wasn’t working while I was there, so I had to go to the 5th floor bathroom to dry my hair, as the 6th floor hairdryer was missing. The showers were nice, very good water pressure which I like, and although the decor was basic they were clean. The kitchen is in the basement of the hostel and has food prep area, dining area, and sofas with a large tv. There are 4 sets of hobs with metal surface in between, and 2 kettles and 2 microwaves. There is no oven, which I’m told is normal for a hostel, so make sure you buy food you can cook on the hob. The kitchen was fairly well equipped with different pans, sieves, chopping boards and utensils – all in pretty poor condition, but usable – if there is anything you need that isn’t there, just ask the reception team and they will see if they have what you need in their storage room. There is a whole wall of fridges where you can store your food in labelled bags purchased from the supermarket, and I must say I was impressed that none of our stuff was moved or used at all. There are also areas for storing dry food, again in labelled bags. During our stay 2 sets of hobs broke, at the same time, so for a hostel with 7 floors and roughly 9 rooms on each floor you can imagine how busy the kitchen was! It didn’t really cause too much problem for us though, as people cook pretty quick meals so we never had to wait too long. The kitchen is open until midnight, but does get very busy after about 8pm as a lot of people are eating and pre-drinking before heading out for the night. On the 2nd floor there is a large tv room with 3 sofas, beanbags and several computers. Internet can be purchased from reception for $1 an hour, and was always working fine while we were there. The tv room is equipped with lots of dvds, some old films, but really a pretty decent collection and a welcome surprise. If you don’t fancy any of the dvds there, you can rent them from outside Coles supermarket, next you just have to bagsy the tv!! It seemed to be always in use while we were there, but people are very easy going and seem happy to watch anything, so we were able to choose what to watch. The hostel has a lift that goes from the basement right up to the 7th floor which was great, especially for us at the top! The main doors close at midnight, but you can easily get in using your key card. Our floor was fairly quiet the first few nights, but people seem to think the corridor is a great place to skype, make phonecalls, sleep and even have drinking parties, so some nights our sleep was very disturbed, even with ear plugs. One morning the builders were there at 7am-1pm making a lot of noise, and though maintenance can’t be avoided I did feel 7am was unreasonable, especially as we weren’t warned by reception – it just wouldn’t happen in a normal hotel. I understand that part of the travelling experience is drinking lots and meeting new people, and I did that, but in bars, pubs and clubs, and not in hostel corridors until 4am – but I guess that’s up to the people that stay there. Some of the staff at 790 were very nice and friendly, others less so, but it was fine and didn’t bother us too much. As a backpacker I’m sure 790 is a fine hostel to stay in, but for someone new to hostels it was a bit of a culture shock and next time I would rather pay more and stay at the Holiday inn. 790 is on George Street in the heart of China town, which is great! Loads of cheap and tasty restaurants and snack places, and also Paddy’s market where from weds-sun you can buy fresh fruit and veg, seafood and meat, and a range of souvenirs and market quality clothes/jewellery etc... You must go through the main street of China town – through the Chinese arches as there are some unique bakeries and tea shops – a favourite of mine was the Hazel Tea Shop where I got a coconut milk tea with tapioca pearl – very strange but so addictive! Every day we noticed a queue near a small window hatch, and being British we love to queue, even if we don’t know what for, so we joined in! At the window they were serving hot emporers cream puffs (like bite sized cakes filled with custard) which you can buy 4 for $1 – worth a try. From 790 you can quickly walk to Central train station, and Darling harbour, and you can catch the 555 free shuttle bus to Circular Quay (either on George St, or outside the station past where the hop on hop off tour buses are). Another tip is that near the station there is a coach travel store where you can access the internet for free for up to 30 minutes. The area around 790 is great, lots to do and see, and if you don’t mind basic accommodation then 790 is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R0P0

Reviewed January 11, 2013 via mobile

Loved this hostel. Excellent location, excellent staff! Stayed over Christmas & they were brilliant. Kitchen a bit neglected but perfectly fine. I won the raffle they do & won free tickets to NYE event worth £200, so they are very cool. Value low because of Xmas prices but that's expected.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 28, 2012

spending a lot of time here due to working, i met amazing people and became good friends with the staff. Everybody that seemed to check in here was friendly and up for a laugh, right next door to one of the most popular bars but you dont get the noise from it. Highly recommend this hostel that is looking for laughs, meeting new people and partying.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank maxwolves
Reviewed November 20, 2012

When I booked this hostel I wasn't sure what to expect. It was so much cheaper than the others in Sydney and I was quite apprehensive. However once I got there I was pleasantly surprised!! I still don't really understand why it's so cheap, but I'm definitely not complaining. It's nothing luxurious and there's nothing in particular that stands out, but its everything you want from a hostel! Very laid back and quiet, so don't book in if you're looking for a party hostel. It was perfect for what I was after though. Right in the city centre, but not noisy at all.

The only complain I could possibly have was that the aircon didn't work and the windows didn't open, so the room got quite hot and stuffy with six people in there! The room itself was a very decent size though, and had lockers with plug points in them for all your electronics, as well as reading lights beside every bed. There are bathrooms on every floor, and a total of three living areas. Everything was cleaned every day, so it was really clean! The kitchen is well equipped and the elevator was a blessing as there are seven floors! I was definitely grateful for it when I was checking in and checking out with my backpack, as my room was on the fourth floor. There's laundry facilities too, with free use of the iron etc. It's also right next to a travel shop and with plenty of cafés and a 7/11 across the street.

Definitely one to keep in mind if you're looking for a chilled out, close to the city base for your trip to Sydney!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Pretty typical hostel; the rooms were decent, the bathrooms were decent, and the staff was helpful but there was really nothing about this place to write home about. The location is pretty good though as you are in central Sydney with access to the train next to you and places/sights to walk to in all directions. The only thing we had a problem with was that our room’s lights didn’t work but when we told the staff they moved us rooms and gave us a small discount for our trouble which was completely unexpected (and very nice!). I would recommend the 790 though because of the good value and central location.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 7, 2012

Stopped for one night, room clean, bed comfy, toilets and showers clean, didn't use the kitchen so can't comment, location good for us, it was noisey the night we stopped but that was some idiot knocking on doors and as soon as told to be quiet by another guest he stopped immediately. Obviously not the staff/hotels fault just one of them things. Staff helpfully though! And u can get breakfast for $5 at cafe round corner and wifi at hostel as a deal. I've mark sleep as poor in relation to noise not the comfort of the bed.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Really enjoyed our stay at the George (5 nights). It was a great experience for our first hostel, we stayed in a private room. Staff always available to help you and the place had a great atmosphere. Its in a great location, so close to the train station. One of the cheapest rates we have found on the East coast.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple