“Very expensive for very average service”

The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay
Ranked #239 of 6,740 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Glebe
Reviewed May 23, 2017

Rainy, busy Mother's Day lunch with guests lining up in the wet for entry at 11.50; asked for entry to escape the rain but told we can enter when they are ready at 12n. Once inside no warm welcome, simply asked for the booking name and pointed to table. Cold, impartial atmosphere and although Mother's Day can be a disjointed affair, service staff did their best to tolerate this disorderly lunch service. Food was fine, but not fantastic. I expected more at these prices.

Reviewed May 14, 2017

Isn't it funny how all restaurants have "one of the best chefs in Sydney"? This place serves the freshest fish and seafood in an elegant, understated ambiance with great service.

Reviewed April 30, 2017 via mobile

We decided to take the trip down to Glebe as a birthday treat... my extent of eating fish normally is barramundi and calamari..... so when we sat down and saw no barramundi on the menu I was alarmed. After the initial shock I decided to test the waters and let go, I ordered the mackerel and my wife ordered the jewfish. Ok my world has just opened up, the fish was perfectly cooked, good serving size and gorgeous flavours, it didn't last long I can say this much!!!! My wife loved her jewfish just as much as.
The restaurant is in a cosy position and the wait staff were friendly, definitely going back for our fish hit.

Reviewed April 29, 2017

Our daughter who lives in Sydney took us to the Boathouse on a Saturday night - we had a perfect night out. The restaurant is on top of Sydney Uni boathouse so is right on the water and darkness of course lends enchantment with twinkling lights and shadowy water. We had a window table and noticed noise levels were contained- so nice to be able to talk without straining ! Great list of aperitifs - do try one of the special gins ! Service was attentive without being intrusive - not many restaurants achieve this - the Boathouse did it well ! Water, warm bread and aperitifs promptly arrived. Our starters were blinis and caviar, sashimi and the oysters - my oyster loving husband was in seventh heaven with the Wapengo oysters. We had all ordered the fish pie - it is lovely to have a bit of theatre in a restaurant - the pie arrives on a trolley and each person is served a portion of their individual pie and then the pie dishes are put on the table - absolutely heavenly fish pie !!!! The side of beans was perfect (beautiful mashed potato accompanied the pie) - crispy hazelnuts on top and the beans perfectly cooked - gorgeous. Pannacotta and berries was a delightful light finish to our meal. Some items on the menu are pricey but our meal was on a par with Sydney prices - AND it was so worth it - great food, gorgeous views and the ability to be able to converse plus professional service. A wonderful special night out

Reviewed April 20, 2017

This restaurant is better than average but not 'very' good. Four of us dined here and nothing really shone. Service was abrupt The waiter appeared 'world weary' and showed no enthusiasm. I was prepared to think he was just aloof, but the others weren't so generous. I had heard about the fish pie so I had that (so too my wife) it was nice, but geees, for the price, nup. Another on the table had the grouper. This was portion control gone silly! it was the size of a starter! Another on the table had the lamb - now that looked good (and I'm informed, was good) and seemed almost generous in terms of portion. The wine list was good! The location was good, the restaurant itself had charm, but it didn't live up to it's perceived reputation. If you are looking at this restaurant, give it a go if you dine out a lot and money is no object, but if you don't and want something special look elsewhere. It's better than average hence the 4 stars. But its better described as 3.5 star establishment.

1  Thank Peter H