“the Boathouse is good but there are better restaurants”

The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay
Ranked #239 of 6,741 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Glebe
Reviewed April 20, 2017

This restaurant is better than average but not 'very' good. Four of us dined here and nothing really shone. Service was abrupt The waiter appeared 'world weary' and showed no enthusiasm. I was prepared to think he was just aloof, but the others weren't so generous. I had heard about the fish pie so I had that (so too my wife) it was nice, but geees, for the price, nup. Another on the table had the grouper. This was portion control gone silly! it was the size of a starter! Another on the table had the lamb - now that looked good (and I'm informed, was good) and seemed almost generous in terms of portion. The wine list was good! The location was good, the restaurant itself had charm, but it didn't live up to it's perceived reputation. If you are looking at this restaurant, give it a go if you dine out a lot and money is no object, but if you don't and want something special look elsewhere. It's better than average hence the 4 stars. But its better described as 3.5 star establishment.

1  Thank Peter H

Reviewed April 20, 2017 via mobile

Went here for a birthday dinner. Has been some time since our last visit. Not again. When you live in Sydney there are so many other choices. Had to pick three wines before one was found in stock that was on the wine list. The fish on the menu dated the day of our visit was not available. When a liquer was requested that was on the menu that was not available. The food was average but not exceptional given the prices. The service was average at best. This is not good enough in a city that prides itself on great restaurants. This is definitely not one of them.

1  Thank Philip B
Reviewed April 16, 2017

On our recent visit to the Boathouse it appeared that the underlying philosophy may be that, while the service is poor, a complimentary bottle of wine should have resulted in patrons leaving without any sense of disappointment. Unfortuntely while the compensation was certainly a generous response to failings in the dining room and kitchen, it is not really what one expects from a restaurant that is priced in the upper level for Sydney. The first problem was the order for three uncompicated pre-lunch drinks, one of which was a glass of wine. Despite those running the bar apparently having plenty of time to engage in conversation they could not prepare three drinks in the 25 minutes between ordering and us cancelling the order. This was despite a request to the waiter that we wait to order the food until after we had our pre-lunch drinks. Next came the promise of bread, which after prompting arrived without any butter. It was eventually provided, albeit in what appeared begrudgingly. The food courses arrived without incident. Not much to complain about but equally, not much to be really impressed with. An octopus entree was very well cooked but not helped by the sauce. My wife's fish course was on the dry side but otherwise fine. The third guest had the long standing menu item, the snapper pie. Again, no complaints about the food but in my opinion the sauce, particulary the garlic, completely overwhelmed any taste of the fish. The heritage carrot dish was tasty but surely the kitchen could manage more than a couple of rather stingy shavings of parmesan to add another flavour dimension to what was certainly a less than generous serving. The dessert of souffle with peanut butter ice cream was very good but my wife's pannocotta was, well, dreadful. I am sure it wasn't but it had a curdled milk flavour and the consistency suggested an overuse of gelatine. There were other issues regarding the temperatures of $19 glasses of white wine-way too warm, but the maitre d was again quite gracious in remedying the problem. In fairness, there were regular apologies from the waiter and the maitre d but surely it would be better to develop a more professional attitude by staff. There were a couple of large tables and the restaurant was perhaps under more than ususal pressure due to the Easter Holiday patronage. Unfortunately the overall experience was negative. What was hoped to be a relaxed holiday lunch was unfortunatly undermined by poor service and food, which did not really encourage a return visit. Hopefully, things will improve.

1  Thank vicenzanino
Reviewed April 15, 2017 via mobile

One of my favourite seafood restaurants in Sydney, I have eaten here many times for both lunch and dinner.

My last visit was a few years back, and I was pleasantly surprised to see the quality of service and the food was right up to scratch.

The view across to the fish markets and Anzac bridge are really nice and at night with the lights and city lights brings it into another realm.

The famous Snapper pie was excellent, we really enjoyed it. We had an oyster course, we selected rock oysters from Merimbula, Pambula and Oyster bay.

Starters not as good as the main, small and not overly tasty. This brought my rating back from a 5/5 to 4/5.

The boat house is expensive, we saw one couple sharing mains and deserts.

Our crustacean course, starter and main ( no desert) was about $110 a head. Add wine expect to pay $150+ per head.

Although pricey we really enjoyed the night.

Reviewed April 11, 2017 via mobile

I have been to the Boathouse a few times over the years and it's still one of my favourite places to take friends too. This time I had friends visiting from Melbourne and they loved it. The location is perfect, close to Darlkng Harbour where they were staying and a short drive for us to get too.

The views of the city and of Anzac Bridge from the restaurant is just beautiful added to the lovely ambience and delicious food and good service , I will definitely be going back again.