“Great food, great atmosphere, great wine, great views”

The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay
Ranked #255 of 6,058 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Glebe
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Probably hard to beat this one in Sydney. This is a converted boathouse - in fact underneath it still is in use for one of the university rowing/boating clubs. The atmosphere is great and the main theme is fish and seafood - absolutely fresh. The oysters are gorgeous as are the crab and lobster. Great wines, great service, and a lovely building right on the water. Cannot recommend highly enough.

1  Thank sunny_jay_jay

Reviewed February 25, 2013

What an evening.
Even though the weather was less than ideal, the ambiance of The Boathouse was brilliant - as were the glistening of the lights across Blackwattle Bay.
Pluses: Very good waitress - took time to explain and made sure we had a brilliant time. Her recommendations were right on - from the wine to the food.
We did a testing platter of all the oysters - really fun and delicious.
All the entrees looked amazing - especially the Tuna. I had the Scallops and they were so tender and flavoursome.
Main I had the Malloway - which was rich without being over done. Wonderful mix of flavours with the hazelnuts. The Tuna looked amazing - and the two Pies on our table were demolished. In fact there was pretty much nothing left! Even the 5 year old ate all his fish!
Deserts - well WOW! doesn't cover it. Make sure you leave room!
Lovely selection of "stickies." I had the muscato and it was the perfect compliment to my Cannoli.
I highly recommend finishing off with the Espresso Martinis.
What a fantastic evening.
PS. I was there with a broken leg and the staff were very accommodating and careful.

1  Thank Taezar
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I just love dropping into the Boathouse for dinner. The food never disappoints. My favourite entree is definitely the Seared Hiramasa Kingfish. The combination of flavours in this meal are second to none. My husband chose, what I felt, was the pick the mains for the evening. He had the Seared Local Yellowfin Tuna. It was so fresh, cooked to absolute perfection and just melted in the mouth. Once again, the Boathouse outdid themselves. We will definitely return.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great venue on the water front. Visited at the end of our holiday with family in Glebe, Sydney, so within walking distance. Good choice on the menu, ideal if you enjoy fish and crustaeans. My choice of the crab cooked with ginger and chilli was really scrummy but not for those who don't like getting their hands dirty! Service excellent, waiter had a really pleasant friendly manner.
This was not a cheap meal, so not somewhere I would visit too often, yet well worth a special occasion.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

It was my daughters birthday luncheon, Saturday after a very busy Christmas New Year.
Parking out the front, we were meant to be here. Summer lunch, water please, & we all do love seafood but there are some many choices in Sydney.
The boathouse was welcoming, the local area much more polished than the semi industrial working bayside I was familiar with i.e. parks, paths, bikeway etc then through the big swing door and up the stairs. Welcomed casually but pleasantly in the understated appropriate professional manner - not quiet welcome home stranger(that is how I was feeling- we had eaten here many times when Tony was still around and the place has maintained, perhaps enhanced, that familiarity) but positive and friendly. Iconically Sydney not tourist Sydney.
Tried a new to me Champagne Duval, I consider a Moet, Verve, Bollinger, Pol Roger would improve the otherwise very good, varied and eclectic wine list.
Wooli Oysters were a big hit as was the Brasserie bread (part of the company stable). My scallops were very good also. The skill in the kitchen was part of my decision to book.
Rule for seafood dinning - fresh, fresh, fresh produce and have the courage to present it as unadulterated as possible.
Mains with sides of walnut salad and chips followed. Of course I, like apparently 50% plus of the dinners (good sitting, not full but all the tables one would want to sit at were occupied and we were afforded an excellent table overlooking the bay, fresh fish markets and plethora of passing craft). The Snapper pie is an excellent dish, a signature from the start, and was as good as my memory.
I should state here, my wife is an exceptionally gifted culinary goddess.
This is not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but I will return more frequently because it is not at all pretentious & emanating a casual style, professional kitchen and floor, excellent at what it does and decidedly Sydney. Ironically I knew two other dinners both from far afield.
Highly recommend without any reservations.