“Why had we not been back for eight years”

The Boathouse on Blackwattle Bay
Ranked #188 of 5,833 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Seafood, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Glebe
Sydney
“Why had we not been back for eight years”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

It was my daughters birthday luncheon, Saturday after a very busy Christmas New Year.
Parking out the front, we were meant to be here. Summer lunch, water please, & we all do love seafood but there are some many choices in Sydney.
The boathouse was welcoming, the local area much more polished than the semi industrial working bayside I was familiar with i.e. parks, paths, bikeway etc then through the big swing door and up the stairs. Welcomed casually but pleasantly in the understated appropriate professional manner - not quiet welcome home stranger(that is how I was feeling- we had eaten here many times when Tony was still around and the place has maintained, perhaps enhanced, that familiarity) but positive and friendly. Iconically Sydney not tourist Sydney.
Tried a new to me Champagne Duval, I consider a Moet, Verve, Bollinger, Pol Roger would improve the otherwise very good, varied and eclectic wine list.
Wooli Oysters were a big hit as was the Brasserie bread (part of the company stable). My scallops were very good also. The skill in the kitchen was part of my decision to book.
Rule for seafood dinning - fresh, fresh, fresh produce and have the courage to present it as unadulterated as possible.
Mains with sides of walnut salad and chips followed. Of course I, like apparently 50% plus of the dinners (good sitting, not full but all the tables one would want to sit at were occupied and we were afforded an excellent table overlooking the bay, fresh fish markets and plethora of passing craft). The Snapper pie is an excellent dish, a signature from the start, and was as good as my memory.
I should state here, my wife is an exceptionally gifted culinary goddess.
This is not an inexpensive restaurant by any means, but I will return more frequently because it is not at all pretentious & emanating a casual style, professional kitchen and floor, excellent at what it does and decidedly Sydney. Ironically I knew two other dinners both from far afield.
Highly recommend without any reservations.

• Visited January 2013

Sydney, Australia
“Excellent food, atmosphere, view and service”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Perfect venue, the best seafood tasted in Sydney especially the oysters. The service was good, the choice of wines excellent, overall we had only compliments about this venue and the food.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank monenaManchester
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful”
Reviewed January 3, 2013

The food and service was simply wonderful, I would say that the Snapper Pie is one of the best dishes I have ever eaten. We had cocktails before eating, we had our 10 year old niece with us who asked of she could have one too. They didn't list any with no alcohol but the bar staff said no problem and just made her one without a blink of an eye, which made the evening special for her.

If Sydney was not on the other side of the world I would be going back again and again.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank Mrs-B-loves
Randwick, Australia
“Delicious!”
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Went here for lunch. Was surprised at how easy it was to get a Friday lunch booking. Lovely location with boats and view over to Anzac bridge.

Service was friendly and efficient. Waiter was very helpful and maitre d' very relaxed and welcoming.

Tiger Prawns were great. Husband raved about Kingfish entree. Mahi mahi in polenta excellent.

Honey mousse was out of this world.

San Francisco, California
“Even without the snapper pie there is reason to visit”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

with other Glebe Point Road diners claiming to be top dogs it is nice to see both the water and staff who are interested in service. we have been regular visitors since this restaurant opened and have noshed through the menu without tiring. what a beautiful and peaceful way to view inner Sydney without the poseurs.

• Visited November 2012