“Fantastic food, quick service. Worth the wait!”
Review of Mamak

Mamak
Ranked #42 of 6,142 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been to Mamak several times, and this is one of my firm favourites in Sydney CBD.

Mamak serves up a range of incredibly tasty Malaysian dishes, most notably a wide range of interesting rotis and curries. The drinks, though a little more generic in nature, are still quite tasty (the ais te and ais kofi are great). All dishes offer fairly good value for money

The restaurant has a warm ambience, although it does tend to get a little noisy. Not quite the place for a romantic date, but perfect if you're hanging out with friends.

The service is very quick, although a little rushed because of the crowds that inevitably throng the restaurant. A 15-20 min queue on a weekend is quite normal. But do invest that time, the wait is well worth it!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed July 21, 2013

This place is roti heaven!
What drew us into the restaurant was the view of the kitchen from the footpath. One can stand in front of the glass window & watch masterful chefs "roll & throw out" these delicious roti & cook them before your very eyes on the hot grill plates - a mouth-watering piece of kitchen theatre!
We dined here on a busy weekday lunch & the restaurant was packed. It looked like we got one of the last remaining tables but you could see others were turning over quite quickly & there was never a long wait for people to be seated.
The service was very efficient & drinks & food came quick & fresh!
The three of us shared some roti canai, chicken murtabak & sambal sotong, accompanied with rice. The menu had some great choices & I this made me sad, seeing it was our only opportunity to dine here on this business trip! A bonus was how inexpensive the food was - roti canai @ $5.50. (I know I'd prefer this to a pie or sausage roll!)
Great Malaysian comfort food, friendly efficient service & good value - what more could you want?
I look forward to returning!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

If you love roti you should vist this place. The line up was to the outside corner just to get in for lunch. The sambal was nice and hot. The lamb curry beautiful. We will be going back to try the rest of the menu. Worth a visit.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Wandered past by accident when we were in Sydney and noticed a queue under a sign that said Satay and Roti - that sure got me interested. We went back the next night (Sunday) to give it a try -same queue and I don't like queues we waited about 30 minutes. Absolutely worth the wait! Tried the 12 stick Satay, Mie Goreng and Roti. Hard to fit it in but forced in a coconut Roti desert all fantastic. Obviously very busy but staff were very efficient and friendly. Food very hot and very fresh. Medium spicy if your used to Malay food. I thought the prices were very reasonable. We will certainly be going back.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

great food and great service. If you look for some good malaysian food its the best place to go in Sydney. It is however quite expensive. Around 5 AUD for a Roti...