“Great find!”

Mamak
Ranked #32 of 5,839 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
San Francisco, California
“Great find!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I had seen this name in Trip Advisor as a good place to go and sort of forgot about it. When we were walking down the street we saw a massive line, guess where? Into Mamak! We decided not to wait but went back a few days later for lunch. It is so but so good. All the food is fabulous, with roti being a specialty. I did not know much about Malaysian food but I am becoming a fan, really nice! They offer so many different varieties of roti, even sweet ones. All the dishes that we ordered were amazing and we actually ate like pigs. I also ordered iced tea, the same I used to get in a Thai restaurant in Berkeley years ago and it was great! Sweet, strong tea! Everyone in the place was taking photos of their food, just like us. It was that good. Nice to be in a place where mutual appreciation is abundant. My daughter and I wanted to order one if their crazy looking deserts but did not have enough room left. Have to save it for next time!

• Visited August 2011

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Piacenza, Italy
“Awesome food if you don't mind a little wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was in Sydney for 5 days and I've been to Mamak twice...it was that good!!! The food is brilliant, big portions and plenty of flavour!! The service is good too and the prices are not bad, not to expensive but not cheap either. The only downside is the wait...they don't take reservation and you can expect to wait outside for a while if you go there at the wrong time...we tried to go there at 19.30 but the line was to long, so we went back an hour later and waited just 20 minutes or so!!! But it was well worth it!!!

• Visited October 2011
Sydney, Australia
“Not sure what all the fuss is about... give it a miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2011

After a 30 minute wait in the queue, everything looked and tasted similar. Good price yes, but for very average food.
I won't return, and definatly wouldn't recommend a visis.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank tgt0123
“True Sydney gem!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

Went here for lunch. My boyfriend and I turned up just before 12. By 12:15pm there was not a spare seat in the house. We shared the house special roti with spicy lamb, cabbage and egg and the vegetarian curry. Perfect portion to share for lunch and just the right amount of spice according to my boyfriend who doesn't really like spicy food. Service was fast and friendly. Highly recommend coming, but don't leave it too late or tables will be gone. Can get a bit noisy as well.

Melbourne, Australia
“omg yummy!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2011

Omg wow the wait in line was so worth it. We went to this resturant after reading reviews on trip adviser. So glad we found this little gem. The food is fantastic, it is cheap ( about the only place in Sydney that is ) and big servings. We took our 2 kids, but dont really think it is for kids, when i say that i dont mean the resturant itself, but the food, it is very spicy, and they use cheaper cut's of meat ( keep cost's down), but then again i have fussy kids. If you dont like it loud and crowded, then this is not the place for you, as they are so popular, they jam people in, but it is still comfy. I will be coming back to this little gem everytime im in Sydney, and also telling my friends as well...thanx for a great meal !!!

• Visited September 2011