“Truly terrible!”

Ranked #103 of 176 Hotels in Sydney
Perth, Australia
“Truly terrible!”
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I have to concur with the previous reviewers, this place is truly the pits!
Same deal, electrical issues which went unresolved the whole time.
Internet is slower than dial up.
Rooms are incredibly noisy at ant time of day, but especially at night with all the yobbos from the cross and all the cab drivers honking - there is simply no chance of sleep.
Intrusive and downright rude staff, especially the "manager"
Dont bother calling the emergency number if your key stops working, they wont answer and will just leave you on the street in the middle of the night! We had to book another more expensive room for the night because we couldnt access the hotel.
This place is a disgrace!
AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE

5 Thank Woodstar

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed November 22, 2010

Firstly its soo loud you can hear everything down the street, its horrible my partner didnt sleep at all I got sleep but was cranky and very unsettled the whole time I was there. The lights kept breaking every day we had showers in the dark. The next morning the toaster was broken. The maintenance guy walked in and let himself in the room while I was still there alone. I called the front desk to let them know the problem is the whole switch board as the kettle wouldn't work either. I asked if I could move into another room and he said no chance and the only option was to check out.. without any apologies for the ongoing issues ( I even bought my own light globes to fix the bathroom after the emergency line wasn't answered at night when it broke) I was treated with no respect and called 'darling' and it seemed it was a hassle for them to have me stay the whole week when really it was a hassle for me to deal with the ongoing issues of the apartment and disgraceful management. I am appalled by the conditions and the staff even the management was rude and unhelpful. It is a scam and a joke. Do not stay here.

3 Thank sydneycbd333
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 17, 2010

The quality of the rooms is decent and even the studio that I stayed in was pretty spacious. Basic amenities are included. The only concern as mentioned by other travelers is that the hotel is located at a very busy crossroads and does not seem to have any sound insulation. As a result, when someone walks past and is speaking it seems as if you are next to them downstairs rather than in your room. The traffic noise is pretty disturbing as well. I wouls suggest taking this room if you get at least a 30% discount off their advertised price and can prenegotiate a higher floor, at least 3rd floor. Also, for some reason it took me over an hour to get a taxi! Internet quality was poor.

1 Thank wasimmehr
All over Australia
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I found these apartments online on a discount site, and picked up a cheap deal to stay for a week. At the discount rate, I feel as though I got a great bargain and have no complaints.
Having lived in Sydney before, I was aware that Potts Point *IS* Kings Cross, so I was aware I would be staying in the middle of a busy area. My spacious studio was on the top (5th?) floor, and I had no trouble whatsoever with noise. I have stayed at far noisier and more expensive hotels in Sydney. In fact, given the location, one block behind "the Coke sign", I felt that it was relatively quiet.
There is a great cafe around the corner for breakfast, and KC station is about 3 minutes walk away. Given that I had commitments in both directions (in Sydney's beaches, the CBD and in the inner west) this proved to be the perfect location for me.
Unlike previous reviewers, I found the wireless internet to be faultless and an appreciated free service.
Kitchen facilities were great and well appointed although seldom used by me. Bathroom was equally good and the washing machine much appreciated.
The staff were friendly and helpful, without being intrusive.
If I could pick up a cheap deal again I would definitely stay here. I would probably request to have a room on one of the higher floors again.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Ecrad
Brisbane
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I had read the reviews on this site before staying at Annam Apartments, so I thought I was prepared for how noisy the room was. I was wrong! I stayed on a Saturday and a Sunday night. The Sunday was fine, no problems at all. Saturday night it was almost impossible to sleep before about 4am due to the constant stream of drunk and very loud revelers from Kings Cross walking past. Having said that, the rest of the room was amazing for the price, including an in room washer/dryer, bath robes and very comfortable and large bed. Being so close to public transport and the city made this even better. Perhaps plan a mid-week trip and you'll be set! Don't stay here on a weekend if you plan to sleep.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank AJB1976
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed February 26, 2009

We stayed at Annam Apt for 2 weeks - we had a studio with a queen bed, kitchen and bathroom, (with free washing machine which was handy) and a balcony.
We booked the room through wotif and got a discounted rate, so we paid just a little over what we were going to pay for a much simpler hotel.
The room was very modern, bright, clean, spacious, the bed was comfortable and they changed our towels daily (linen was changed a few times, but not daily).
The parking is one of those weird lifts where your car goes up and disappears, but we had no trouble using it.
Our room was on the third floor and as Annam apt are located at a corner of a busy roundabout (which is the route of lots of buses) and it was quite noisy especially on Friday and Saturday nights when you get people leaving the Kings Cross area after partying.
Staff were very friendly and the location is handy for public transport and Sydney CBD.
Wireless internet was available, but they were having some problems with the server, so it wasn’t very reliable (they said they were changing server soon.
I would stay there again, but only with the discounted rate.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Poppi_MB
Boston
Reviewed December 3, 2008

I stayed here for 3 weeks, while on business in Sydney. The Apartments are in a good location, quite close to Public Transportation, and a $15AUD taxi ride to CBD.

I stayed in a 1 Bedroom apartment on the 4th floor. I believe they have bedroom suites, 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom apartments. Not much of a view, but amenities included Flat Screen LCD tv, Cable, and phone. Wifi is available, but I received extremely poor reception in my room, which did not improve during my stay, after several discussions with the front desk crew. If your in town on business, and work in the evenings, such as I, I wouldn't recommend this apartment building. However, if they improve the Internet connectivity/access, I'd recommend for the business travelor and change my rating to an 8 or 9.

If I was in town on Holiday, and had no need for Internet, it's good to go. Location is just north of Kings Cross, which is always hopping, and noted as the debaucherous area of Sydney.

The Kitchen area is okay, offers a Collegiate style fridge, and electric stove top, no oven.

The premises are quiet, and the front desk staff are attentive. Daily maid service,

Overall I'd rate it, a 7 out of 10.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Business Services
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Sean_Owens