“average”
Review of Il Baretto

Il Baretto
Reserve with
Il Baretto is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,114 of 5,833 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Sydney, Australia
“average”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

A locals secret, but infact, the food is average, the wine list over priced, and apart from the staff who are great, this place is overrated and slightly overpriced

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank undercoverelephant

Dublin, Ireland
“Tiny Italian Restaurant”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've been to my fair share of Italian restaurants in my time and by all means Il Baretto is not the best, nor is it the worst.

It is located in a quaint, atmospheric, quiet area of Surry Hills where you can see enthusiastic cyclists whizzing by, one of the few places in Sydney i've seen with functional cycle lanes.

It's a small restaurants with about ten tables. It's located on a corner with effective open walls so the evening and night air permeates the whole place. You can see the chefs whipping up the food behind a modest counter.

The food is reasonably priced with the mains averaging about $18. Starters stand at about $6. The bruschetta wasn't spectacular, the olives were the nicest i'd ever tasted (and that's saying a lot as someone who doesn't like olives), the mushroom risotto was plentiful and delicious and the tiramisu was tasty. I am not a wine snob but i would have liked to be served my wine in a proper wine glass instead of a drinking glass, there's something so authentic about sipping wine from a delicate wine glass while nibbling on Italian food. As far as i could see they didn't serve pizza. What kind of Italian restaurant doesn't serve pizza?

The service was good but we felt a little rushed. Because the place is so small we got the impression they are trying to encourage you to eat and go to free up the tables.

All in all, it was good but not superb.

• Visited March 2013
Singapore
“Unpretentious and real pasta”
Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

I want great pasta - checked. I want affordable food - checked. I want great atmosphere - checked. Omg, what are you waiting for??

London, United Kingdom
“How a restaurant should be - loved”
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

My mum and I walked to Surry Hills from the city centre and were delighted we made the effort to seek out this neighbourhood family run restaurant.
At first we were sat at the back which was a bit dark and hot so asked to move and ended up with the best seats in the house across from the bar/kitchen where we could see every dish being cooked in an incredible display of culinary wizardry. I ordered gnocchi and asked if they made the pesto themselves. 'Yes, we make everything ourselves' was the response from the friendly and super efficient waitress. One of a well looked after team.
Both my gnocchi and my mum's lasagne were spot on and as good as I have had in Italy. We got lucky in that the restaurant was closing for Christmas so everyone in the restaurant got a free dessert. Sums up though the management of the place. We could even see the pot washers laughing.

Sydney, Australia
“Suck up that spaghetti!”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

A delightful little corner restaurant - simple, succinct, not pretentious, great food and affordable - how rare is that?!!
Other 'restaurants' in Sydney need to learn from this place.
Stumbled into this restaurant mid-week to find it packed. I love a short and simple menu - $14 for a bowl of pasta is almost unheard of in Sydney - and to have a mouthful of (I presume) mama's home made authentic goodness must make this one of the best Italian places around.
Caring, attentive staff, attitude-free... it feels like you're a member of the family and part of the village.

• Visited December 2012