“Excellent restaurant with 2 chefs hats”
Review of Restaurant Balzac - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Restaurant Balzac
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Reviewed July 28, 2010

I went to this place for my birthday a few days ago and was so impressed with the quality of the food. My wife and I had the degustation menu, and i had the matching wines. The whole bill came too 240$ which i think is very reasonable. I believe if this restaurant was in europe it would have at least one michelin star.
The dishes were cleverly prepared and were a mixture of traditional british ingredients which have been cooked in a french style (if that makes sense!). For example we had the rabbit, pheasant, roast lamb, patagonian scallops on saffron rissotto and a beautifully prepared meringue.
Overall i would recommend this restaurant to anyone travelling to sydney, looking for a special meal that is loved by locals, and is not in all the guide books..

Reviewed December 15, 2009

We found this restaurant to be excellent on all counts. Because of a recomendation, we had already decided to go for the dégustation menu. The set meal offers only a choice for the "main" course with all the others being fixed. It's 9 courses in all (Aud$95/pp) and took us about three hours to get through. We went for the included "matching" wine option (an extra Aud$50 for 5 glasses of wine) and this proved to be a good idea. The only course we didn't like so much was the boiled hens egg with celeriac (I think course #2) but the rest were superb. The matching wines added an extra dimension to the whole meal. Wines bought by the glass are generally a great idea in my opinion, especially when there are so many wildly different flavours to accompany.

The portion sizes were quite small (as indicated by the title "dégustation"), so we weren't struggling to fit in the desert, but did leave the restaurant feeling well fed. The ambience and service in general were top class and the waitresses introduced each course and each glass of wine, so fourteen introductions in all ! The meal wound up with a yummy desert (+ a glass of Montbazzillac to go with it) then coffee or tea.

I'd suggest that this restaurant is a great place for an intimate night out, but allow 3hrs to eat if you're going for the dégustation !

Reviewed September 13, 2009

This restaurant is a gem of an eatery located, quite impropably, among the kebab-shops, suburban grocery stores and Thai diners in Randwick. The people behind Restaurant Balzac really do make an effort to offer Randwick a high-end restaurant option. And their efforts pay off, I think. The restaurant is located in Randwick, on the principal route between Coogee and the city centre and so is easily accessible, even from the Sydney CBD.

I was last there for lunch, on a Friday. The restaurant (I understand) offers a prix fixe menu on Friday, but we ordered a la carte. We ordered duck and sides of roast potatoes and sauteed brussels sprouts. All were splendid. Ingredients were fresh, full of seasonal flavour and cooked with care and skill. The restaurant's extensive wine list provided good range of wine-by-the-glass options, which was great, since neither my partner nor I drink much at lunch. The desserts we chose were equal to the mains in quality and enjoyment: we both chose a light mousse cake that was airy and textured and contrasted agaisnt the richness of the duck perfectly.

While the dishes were grounded in skill and quality ingredients, the kitchen still achieved some artistic flair in presentation, not pretentous, nor needlessly showy, just visually interesting and aesthetically special.

The restaurant is located in an old, sandstone building that I think once was home to a pub. It stands behind a statue of Captain Cook at the intersection of three busy suburban roads. Ironically, the restaurant's somewhat dull views (the windows on one side are even frosted to obscure the passing traffic) are perhaps the source of this place's great food: unlike top-end restaurants in town and along waterfront, Balzac cannot rely on stunning views to attract business, thus Balzac must rely on the quality of their product.

Balzac is on the pricey side of mid-range, but I each time I've been there I've been more than satisfied with the meal, which easily equals anything on offer in the city centre. Interestingly, I was I Dymocks bookstore in town today and saw that Balzac isn't listed in any of the Sydney guidebooks (Lonely Planet etc) on sale there and the fact that there were no previous reviews of the restaurant on here puzzles me: it's a great place to eat and well worth the trek out to Randwick.

The restaurant also prepares a degustation, but I have never tried it. Highly recommended!

1  Thank RandwickChief