“City Hotel without the pretence and great meals”
Review of St James Hotel

St James Hotel
Ranked #1,724 of 5,862 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Local cuisine
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Unique and glamorous, with three distinct levels St James offers a different atmosphere and experience - the bistro in the lower ground floor, street level bar and on the first floor, the stunning Mirabelle, a cocktail lounge of unequalled indulgence with a focus on a diverse range of entertainment in moody and sexy surrounds.
Sydney, Australia
“City Hotel without the pretence and great meals”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Recently I had my farewell. I rang the hotel and spoke to Scott the manager. I needed a table for 25 which went to 35. They were so happy to help in any way possible. When we turned up and order lunch, it was quick and no one had to wait and everyone loved the food and the price. I can't recommend them any higher. Very professional and friendly, very rare in the city.

• Visited October 2012

Sydney
“No real atmosphere, but great, cheap meals!”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

St James Hotel really doesn't have a lot of atmosphere. Firstly, it's directly next to a bus stop on a one of Sydney's major streets. When a bus stops there, conversation with your friends will cease, unless you love shouting at them. The tables on the ground floor are all quite high, so you have to sit on rather uncomfortable bar stools. If you want to sit more comfortably, you either have to go upstairs or downstairs where they have a few couches and normal chairs. However, those levels are all a little old, and I personally always find it a bit weird to be in a pub without windows (if you're underground).

To come to my point though: I don't go to St James to have an amazing pub experience, I go there because their $10 meals are the best pub meals in Sydney! I have one about every week, and every time I'm surprised to find my steak perfectly cooked and without fat, my schnitzel nicely crumbed, my chips crispy, and my sauces tasty. My friends and I tested a lot of pubs before we settled here for our weekly catch-up, and it was the food at St James that made the decision easy. Drinks can be had for standard prices.

So, if you want to have an amazing evening at a trendy pub, this is not the place you should go to, but if you find yourself craving some pub food and you're looking for the best value in an otherwise overpriced segment, you will not regret it.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sardionerak
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Good, Cheap, Fun.”
Reviewed January 4, 2008

Good, Cheap, Fun.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“When you are really hungry and you are in the city, this is a great place for Angus steak! It's very reasonably priced...”
Reviewed December 3, 2007

When you are really hungry and you are in the city, this is a great place for Angus steak! It's very reasonably priced at $9.95 and compared with some steaks priced at $25, you really can't complain.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook