“Great coffee, real pride in their work”

Single O Surry Hills
Ranked #133 of 6,032 Restaurants in Sydney
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: We are a Sydney-based roaster and have a cafe in Surry Hills that some lovely folks have gone so far as to call 'legendary'. Our coffee is responsibly sourced and for the most part responsibly consumed. We are driven. Which could have something to do with the amount of coffee we consume. We aim to inspire coffee passion and exploration, to raise the bar and have customers who don't mind that we're a touch nuts. Our quality standards are uncompromising. For all our joking around, we take the coffee, food and service seriously.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I used to live just across the road from Single Origin, and before that I lived just down the street. I remember when they first opened, and watched the crowds building up. I'm not a coffee aficionado, but many of my friends are and they swore /swear by this place. I know a guy who goes here for coffee from Newtown, before he then goes to work across the bridge. The people who run this place are excellent, they really care a lot. The guy running it is completely mad, but he seems to have a heart too. I remember when his baby was born, the whole bit. The staff were always a really good lot. I haven't been here for awhile since I moved into the burbs. I used to get the most fantastic bean and cheese pie. I remember one time the barista had just got back from winning an international award for the art on top of the coffee. They were totally proud of him. Anyway, I love single origin. Ni hao ma!!!

1  Thank LadyQinto

Reviewed September 5, 2012

First of all, I am not a fan of muffin. Hardly eat muffin back to my country, but somehow the Australia weather made me want to eat muffin everytime I drink coffee.
I chose to try the Pear muffin in this place as we don't have it in Jakarta. Guess what, it is so TASTY. Best muffin I have ever tasted for the whole of my life. The coffee is good too (not as GREAT as the muffin thou haha)

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Not just in Australia either! These guys are world class baristas and are generally pretty cool. Make sure to try a home made muffin as well!

1  Thank tkhan90
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Best coffee we had on our trip through Australia. Originally tried to go on a Sunday morning and found it was closed. Tried Toast across the street that day which was also good. Came back the next day and enjoyed two delicious coffees as well as one of their large muffins. Best muffin either of us had ever had by a long shot. Cooked food we saw being served to other patrons looked delicious as well. Prices are a little higher but not more than you'd expect for an upscale coffee place.

1  Thank Gordon C
Reviewed May 16, 2012

This place has character, always busy, delicious food and their espresso's are strong, rich and smooth...only for the serious espresso drinker.

I have a couple of blogs that might be of interest. The first is about cafes I recommend in Aus and NZ (with a few in San Fran, NY and Vancouver); www.espresso-jono.blogspot.co.nz .and the second is favourite cafes in Melbourne, all visited by bike; http://spottedatespressomelbourne.wordpress.com/