“It's not worth the money, the lobster was smelly and the service was average”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Kobe Jones

Kobe Jones
Reserve with
Kobe Jones is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,214 of 5,835 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese, Seafood, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Scenic view, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central Business District
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“It's not worth the money, the lobster was smelly and the service was average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

It's not worth the money, the lobster was smelly and the service was average, only the atmosphere was good. I would not recommend my friends to go there.(28/08/2013)

We used a voucher for 13 courses which would normally costs more than 320 AUD, the service was average and my assumption was because that the restaurant was half empty as I had some really bad experience about the service before.

A glass of smoothie juice cost us 12.5 AUD and it was bland.

The food itself was dedicated and tasty until the last main, hot rock lobster cooked from raw. The lobster meat were not fresh,salty and smelly, we left at least half of the portion on the table.

The manager came and insisted that the lobsters are delivered daily several times. And finally offered us an extra dessert, we didn't ask for compensation or anything and didn't take the extra dessert because we were almost full.

I am sorry to say that but the manager didn't save his reputation nor the restaurant's.

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
“Average food at best on a beautiful expensive setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

I was here several years ago and the place was high end and delivered.

On sitting I was first asked if I had a voucher !!!

Anyway, the service was pleasant and professional but way too slow. Either they are always understaffed or have poor systems.

I was served mushy over cooked Edemame ( beans). Not a good sign as Japanese chefs are usually impeccable. Not the case here.

The other crab dish I ordered was tasty but a bit mushy and again not well resolved for Jspanese food standards.

The small portions of food were served on 50 x 10cm stylish plates in a beautiful harbour front location.

You can get better Japanese elsewhere at half the price.

The service while pleasant, was way too slow.

While I enjoyed my visit for the location, it was overpriced for the product served.

“Great dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

We ate dinner here last evening. We ordered the Winter Romance package, which was a lot of food. The food is basically a sampling of many of the top dishes featured on the regular menu. The sushi is fresh, tasty and Kobe Jones offer a big variety of style. The atmosphere is very nice -- great view. It can be a bit chilly on a winter night, so bring a sweater.

1 Thank SMEMBoston_Ma
“Really disappointing”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We purchased a deal for the Lobster Experience Menu for $139. As it was our anniversary, we wanted to have a really special evening so splashed out on what should have been an exquisite meal at Kobe Jones. What a disappointment.

When we arrived there was a queue of guests streaming out of the door and not enough staff to get people seated quickly. Our turn finally came and we were taken to a table overlooking the harbour (best bit of the evening) and given the wrong menu to look at. After trying to get the attention of a staff member for some time, another waitress came over and disappeared with the wrong menu, leaving us waiting again until she eventually brough us the correct menu. We ordered and asked for some water, as none had been brought to us and were again left waiting a long time for that.

First out came edamame and two glasses of champagne (included in the deal). Then our water finally arrived. For entree we shared the crab croquettes, which tasted good but the texture was wrong and they fell apart as soon as you went near them with a chopstick - not good if you're sharing an entree and the plate is in the middle of the table. Also the portion size was far too small for a shared entree. For mains the tempura slipper lobster was pretty standard, tempura batter was good but portion size was more like an entree. The seaweed butter and dipping sauce it came with were tasteless. The miso citrus lobster was a couple of bits of lobster in a half lobster shell, bland, no seasoning and no evidence of the wafu thermidor sauce it was supposed to have. It was on a bed of tastleless, watery vegetables that would not have complemented the dish even if they had been cooked well. For dessert, the chocolate melting cakes were not melting on the inside as they should have been - just stodgy cupcakes with a bit of icecream on top.

I was glad to leave and get away from the ridiculously loud music they had been pumping through the restaurant all night but so incredibly disappointed that I hadn't enjoyed a nice romantic dinner for my anniversary.

We were also staying at a hotel that night and by the time we got back were so hungry we had to order room service and I enjoyed my club sandwich better than anything I tasted at Kobe Jones.

Poor service, unromantic atmosphere, tasteless food - all I can say is that i'm glad we didn't pay the advertised price ($292) for the meal but we will not be back, even with a voucher.

• Visited July 2013
“Not Worth the Hype!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

We purchased an online deal for dinner. The food was okay, plenty to eat but way too creamy.

The service was the biggest let down. Very hard to get a drink or fresh chopsticks each time the table was cleared. With the last meal we were forced to use our fingers as we couldn't get the attention of staff for new chopsticks.

The view is lovely as with all the restaurants along King Street Wharf.

• Visited July 2013