“Good food but pretty noisey and a bit dark”

Fix Wine Bar + Restaurant
Ranked #588 of 5,900 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Australian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Fix Wine Bar + Restaurant. A Sydney CBD institution, offering great food, wine & service in a comfortable modern space. Our vine graffiti wall takes pride of place in the bar area. Come in and be wined and dined by our team, led by the wine-lovin' Stuart Knox.
“Good food but pretty noisey and a bit dark”
Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

We ate here with friends and got a great table as well as good food. The whole trout cooked in a bag with fennel salad is highly recommended! The actual space however which is the restaurant is pretty dark and boring, and has poor acoustics which made it hard to talk and relax. Otherwise, all good.

Bathurst, Australia
“Fix. A verb not a noun.”
Reviewed April 17, 2012

Nothing worse than loving a place then returning and finding it is just a shadow of your last review. This is what happened here at Fix. Everything which made it so appealing has gone, to be replaced with truely slack service, indifferent food and an owner who is more interested in drinking his favorite wines than serving them. Avoid.

• Visited March 2012
2 Thank Moo628
Sydney, Australia
“Wine appreciation @ Fix St James”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

Wine, vino, fermented grape juice. I love it. Drinking it, talking about it, learning about it, collecting it. It’s all good. So, I was just a tad excited to be spending an evening with Stuart Knox, smh Sommelier of the Year, at his restaurant, Fix St James.

It’s not often the Sommelier owns the restaurant, rather than the Chef, but that’s exactly the case at Fix St James. Stuart Knox, shares his love of wine and food at his wine bistro, located smack bang in the cbd. Perfect for that after work glass of wine, if you ask me.

The split level restaurant is minimalist with little fuss. Don’t get me wrong, it’s nice, but the decor doesn’t take centre stage – that’s left to the wine. By day, it’s a popular lunch spot for office workers, by night it’s transformed to a sexy wine bistro.

My group and I dined on a Thursday evening, and the place was packed. The clientele was mixed, from Barristers, to Gen Y’s, and everyone looked at home.

For our evening, instead of pairing wine with food, we paired food with wine. Stuart created a 5 course wine tasting and food menu for our group. He personally explained to us the characteristics of each wine, and why the matching dish worked with the selected wine. I know I learnt a thing or two, and certainly discovered a few new wine favourites along the way.

Our wine & food menu was as follows:

Yarrabank Sparkling, Yarra Valley 2007 | Rock Oysters (natural & Gazpacho Granita)
Covers d’Or Riesling, Clare Valley 2007 | Shellfish and Saffron Soup
Prawn Wine Co. ‘El Desperado’ Rose, Adelaide Hills 2011 | Beef Tartare with Quail Egg Mouressipe ‘Cacoous’ Grenache/Syrah, Rhone Valley, France 2010| Crispy Pork Belly with Shredded Salad
Chateau le Bourdieu, Medoc, Bordeaux France 2005 | Lamb Ragu with Orecchiette

So, if like me you’re a wine lover, you simply must visit Fix St James. Take advantage of the Feed Me Fix Menus and take your own wine voyage!

Shannon
www.urbanchicguides.com

Visited March 2012
Sydney, Australia
2,923 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,872 helpful votes
“Love the wine, not sure abbout the food”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was one of my rare nights in sydney and I was looking forward to a good food experience.
I thought I'd look at the Westfield options and even though we naturally resist the thought of eating in a shopping mall, the number of quality restaurants seemed irresistible.
Unfortunately after wandering through the mall for 10 minutes, I still couldn't see any signs that directed me to the better restaurants.
I then tried the concierge service at Amex and after 13 minutes and 7 seconds of "all of our executives are busy looking after clients", I gave up and just walked the streets.
We wandered into Fix and it seemed to have a friendly bustling atmosphere.
The wine choices were amazing; the food options less so.
Perhaps it was my bad choice - the pork shoulder was too clise to shredded for me.
So probably good for a casual bistro night to enjoy the wine - less so for a special culinary night out.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank RonWamberal
“This is a Wine Bar with Food”
Reviewed March 12, 2012

Being a wine buff, the by the glass wine list is absolutely impressive. The main wine list avoids all the over priced burgundies and the usual Barossa staples.

The food takes a half step back to the wine.
You do need to approach Fix with wine in mind and food as the secondary. Be brave. Ask for a wine and food match; this is what these guys do best. You will be rewarded for letting go.

1 Thank cgwines