“Good pub grub”

Ranked #29 of 425 Quick Bites in Sydney
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: One of the original Sydney venues on the craft beer scene, Harts Pub has been championing an all-Australian craft beer line-up since 2009. Originally a private residence spanning three terraces, Harts Pub survived the post-bubonic plague demolitions in The Rocks to become home to a range of characters, including Margaret Fulton - one of Australia's greatest gourmet pioneers. Renovated with an eye to historical accuracy, Harts Pub is proud its reputation as one of Australia's iconic craft beer venues, with a rotating array of beers, and a specialty beer-matched menu.
Reviewed March 4, 2019 via mobile

The prime attraction for eating here was its proximity to our b&b. It turned out to be pretty much as expected. Housed in an old house with an outdoor beer garden it is a friendly stop with good food and a wide selection of craft beers and wines. We shared a chicken parm entree which was sufficient for two and was well presented with salad and fries.

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed March 4, 2019

I love this place. We eat here often and have never had a bad meal. Tonight I ordered the Bi Bim Bap with crumbed tofu and chili sauce. It was terrific! I wasn't sure just what to expect but I was delighted and will definitely be ordering it again. My partner ordered the Ruben and thoroughly enjoyed it. We shared the chips and they were sooooo good. I have nothing to fault. I love this pub.

Date of visit: March 2019
Reviewed February 3, 2019

We came here twice because of its proximity to our hotel: once for a drink and once for lunch. The steak sandwich and the fries were pretty awesome, but there wasn't a single employee who appeared happy to be there. Felt like we were being too friendly just to force a smile. The difference between a full glass and half glass of wine was really hard to differentiate. The additional reason it lost a star was because they played just bout the worst music I've ever heard in my life. Whilst considering if I should just down my wine and leave or buy earplugs, someone from the large group on the patio next to me said "I can't handle this music any longer: I wish I were deaf." I was relieved to know that it wasn't just me! I chimed in and told them that I agreed, but we all got out of there as fast as we could.

Date of visit: January 2019
DarrenW1984, Manager at Harts Pub, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2019

Hi Ash,

So glad you enjoyed your food! I'm sorry the rest of your experience wasn't what you should normally expect from us. All of our staff really do enjoy working here - the majority of our reviews generally comment on how friendly our staff are so I apologise if this wasn't what you received when you were here.

We do change our music frequently to try to accommodate the tastes of our diverse range of customers. We're always happy to take some constructive criticism and change this/the television channels to suit the customers in at the time. Please feel free to ask us next time and we will happily change it for you!

Hope you come back in whenever you're in the area next time and we can give you a better standard of service.

Reviewed January 15, 2019

I used to drink in Harts Pub 20 years ago when I worked nearby for 3 months on secondment from the UK - so I was keen to show my now husband my old stomping ground! We were staying next door in the Shangri-La - so it was a perfect location.

The choices of different craft ales and lagers was great - with my husband and I opting for different ones, which were both lovely.

The food was fabulous, and servings HUGE. The wings, in particular, would have fed loads!

We sat outside in the beer garden which was lovely - although a bit like a wind tunnel as it was a freakishly windy day!

It was also a nice touch (although I suspect coincidence!) that they were playing 90s music on a playlist when we were there, so I really did feel like I'd stepped back in time!!

Date of visit: December 2018
1  Thank LibPrice
DarrenW1984, Manager at Harts Pub, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2019

Hi Lib,

Thank you so much for your lovely review! So nice that you had some time to reminisce and that you enjoyed your beers and food. Would love to see you in the pub again some other time when you're back over this way.

All the best!

Bella

Reviewed November 20, 2018 via mobile

Came here for lunch and liked it so much we came back for dinner. Good variety of beers on tap, good service and great food. Read that chicken parmigiana was something to try in Australia. Tried it in two places and Hart’s was better by far. Also really enjoyed the fried chicken burger. Chips are top notch too.

Date of visit: November 2018
DarrenW1984, Manager at Harts Pub, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2018

Hi Stephanie,

Thanks so much for your review. We sell hundreds of Parmigianas every week so I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yours so much!

We hope to see you again the next time you're in Australia.

All the best,