“Polished service, very good food, extensive wine list but I was not 'wowed'!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of ARIA Restaurant

ARIA Restaurant
Reserve with
ARIA Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 5,815 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary
Good for: Scenic view, Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: ARIA is an award winning hatted restaurant in Sydney located at Circular Quay, on the very edge of Sydney Harbour, provides a dining experience with striking harbour views, with an award winning menu and extensive wine list, served in an intimate and elegant dining room. Owned by chef Matt Moran, ARIA first opened its doors in 1999 and is highly regarded and awarded both locally and internationally. ARIA currently holds two coveted Chef's Hats and was awarded the, 'Diner's Choice' award by the readers at the Sydney Morning Herald Good Food Guide 2012 Awards.
Melbourne, Australia
“Polished service, very good food, extensive wine list but I was not 'wowed'!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

This restaurant has been on my 'to do' list for some time, and a business trip to Sydney provided the opportunity.

Table for 4, reasonable views of the harbour, but we were not at the window as such.

A very polished and professional young waitress, provided what could only be described as impeccable and unobtrusive service throughout the evening.

Quite an interesting menu, with balanced selection of entrees and main courses. I opted for the oysters and the baked snapper with a dashi reduction. My wife decided on the scallops and the duck (she almost always has duck in a restaurant).

Entrees very good and nicely presented. Duck cooked perfectly and full of flavour with a classic presentation. Snapper, also cooked perfectly, but to be honest uninspiring as a dish (to me). Flavours were ok, presentation also ok. Others in the party had the grilled mulloway, and it appeared to be a better dish. Timing between courses also good.

The Savigny-Les-Beaune was good choice for the food, and reasonably priced at $85.00.

We did not opt for the desert menu.

To summarise, a well executed restaurant, with polished service, fine surroundings (but not lavish), very good food and excellent wine list.

I was not 'wowed' as some other reviewers were on this forum.

Perhaps I was expecting more given the reviews I had read on this forum and elsewhere, and I have certainly been in restaurants in France that were just a cut below Michelin 1 star and been very 'wowed' by the food... for similar or less money.

I've also dined in Michelin 1 and 2 star restaurants in France, and Belgium over a number of years and been really 'wowed' by the food.

I would likely return at some stage to try a different selection from the menu, but not before I try Tetsuya's in Sydney...

1 Thank travellingchef

Sydney, Australia
“anniversary dinner”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

summary in points
- excellent service, the waitstaff on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being good i'll give it a 20
- food was good but expected it to be great, the signature dish pork belly was over rated nothing special
- price is high, but expected that from the restaurant
- location, view, atmosphere was good but again its ruined by the amount of customers in a small place, noise was higher than it should and view was another table
- nice touch on our dessert plate to write "happy anniversary" but again for the price you pay i expected just a bit more.
- overall was over rated the restaurant can do more for the customers, little things like mints with your bill or something

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank ahn33tar
Adelaide, Australia
“Amazing fine dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My partner and I recently visited Aria for dinner while in Sydney and enjoyed every bite. I ordered the chicken, and he had the beef. We also ordered a side dish of the truffled potato mash which was fantastic. The food was well presented and timed well. With stunning views of the opera house, great service (staff that pleasantly ask what you would like rather than nag you for your order) and delightful atmosphere. For dessert he had the chocolate tart and I had the banana-chocolate souffle which was to die for. For those living outside of Sydney like myself, a walk near the opera house after dinner is a must.
Only slight negative is that we had to wait about 15-20 minutes for our table - they were very polite and seated us by the bar - we had a drink while waiting for our table.

• Visited August 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Superb lunch on a beautiful Sydney day”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

We enjoyed lunch at the AMEX table at Aria, Sydney. The view from the table was breathtaking with the Opera House and Harbour at its absolute best on a cloudless day.

We were welcomed by extremely friendly staff and the service was nothing but perfect throughout our visit. The food was exquisitely presented and cooked, with every mouthful a total delight.

I've been to several top restaurants where the food is sensational, but the service not so, as some waiters in such establishments think they are a bit more special than the patrons. At Aria, we were treated as valued guests by everyone we came in contact with.

This was without a doubt, one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. First class, thank you to everyone at Aria Restaurant Sydney.

London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food, Wine and Service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Me and my girlfriend booked a meal for us and friends at Aria on Sat 21st Sept.

Everything of about the experience at Aria was extremely good - we all went for the 4 course tasting menu with matching wines. Both the food (salmon, octopus, lamb and strawberry something or other) and wines were fantastic - with the descriptors of food and wine provided by the sommelier and wiatress being very well put.

The amount of time between each course being served was perfect and we were also provided with an appetiser, palete cleanser and macaroons as part of the tasting package. We all felt the amount and quality of the food was perfect.

The only slight negative to the whole experience was that we had requested a table overlooking the opera house and harbour bridge (when booking 6weeks out) - but we got a table towards the rear of the restaurant with a view of circular quay).

I'd give Aria a 4.5 out of 5.