“Food was great, will certainly visit again”

East Ocean Restaurant
Reserve with
East Ocean Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4,200 of 5,862 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Located in the heart of Chinatown, East Ocean Restaurant was established in 1985 and has since been known as the most authentic Chinese restaurant in Sydney. We are committed to offering our patrons high-quality and authentic Chinese cuisines.East Ocean specialises in live seafood cooking. We keep live lobsters, king crabs, mud crabs, abalone, pipis, king prawns, and large variety of fishes in temperature-controlled tanks. All our seafood is guaranteed to be fresh and of excellent quality.In addition to its extensive live seafood menu, East Ocean Restaurant is also famous for its Yum Cha. In 2010, The Sydney Morning Herald rated East Ocean Restaurant as one of the top 10 Yum Cha restaurants in Sydney. East Ocean was also a finalist in the Best Chinese Restaurant 2010 category by The Australian Restaurant and Catering Association.Since 2009, East Ocean Restaurant broke through the barrier of Chinese dining culture by introducing the wine drinking culture together with Chinese cuisine. With our extensive experience in matching Australian, French and Italian red and white wines with our menu, we are confident that our patrons will have the utmost experience in Chinese dining. In 2010, East Ocean Restaurant was awarded 2 Wine Glasses by the Gourmet Traveler Wine in the Wine List of the Year category for its comprehensive selection, wine knowledge, and its ability to match Australian and French wines with authentic Chinese cuisines.We are proud to receive the well accredited 2013 Gourmet Traveller Wine list Award of the year, again... a well deserved 2 Glass rating!
Sydney, Australia
“Food was great, will certainly visit again”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went to this restaurant with officemates, 2 of whom were Chinese. We ordered a good variety of food including my fav chicken claws. The food was fantastic, fresh and yummy. With so many food we ordered, there was no bad one that I could not have had. The only difference to what I expected was that there were not too many trolleys being taken around. You have to place your order in a card. I would expect Yum-Cha to offer the food right before your eyes and pick what pleases you. I may not have the same good experience I had if it was not for the 2 Chinese companions we were dining with. Price was not cheap but not too expensive as well. I will definitely visit this restaurant again, but I have to be prepared to ask questions about the menu if unaccompanied by a Chinese friend.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wagga Wagga
“So much to choose from”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We were taken there buy friends who live in Sydney for Yum Cha. I have only every had Yum Cha once, but this was incredible so much food to choose from you name it they have it. The service was fantastic I couldn't get over how many people were there. The only problems that I found was most of the food that we were getting off the trolleys was quiet cold they tasted nice but would have been a lot nicer hot. If you ordered off the menu it was fresher and hotter. We did however order special fried rice that came way after we had eaten all our meals and it cost $26 for a dish, I thought it must be very special fried rice at that price. I found it quiet expensive for what we had and probably wouldn’t rush back to have Yum Cha.

Sydney, Australia
“Will recommend”
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to yum cha at east ocean restaurant early in the morning this morning.
Is good food and goood service we had that time.
Overall is good.
Little bit expensive. lol.
We will come back for sure.
Next week we will try the golden century yum cha.

“Service was non-existent”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is not what I expect of a Yum-Cha Restaurant. After being seated, that was pretty well much it. We did not see much food coming around and when I enquired as to why there were no trolleys of food coming around, I was given a form to fill in to place an order. This would have been fine had we been told in the first place. After I placed the order, the food dribbled out but I had to cancel the last two dishes as we had a show to get to.
Did they care? not really.
I didn't think you could really stuff up Yum-Cha but these guys did.
On a final note, the food was only ok.

• Visited June 2013
EastOcean, Public Relations Manager at East Ocean Restaurant, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Thank you for your review.

East Ocean appreciates your feedback to further help us improve our customer service, quality assurance and customer's satisfaction.

We assure you that we take every step to ensure that our food are of best quality and freshness. Therefore we practice yum cha on demand and surprisingly our patrons have been very supportive and welcoming in our practice. And this is also why our yum cha services could extend till 2am all day, 7 days a week.

We value your feedback to help us improve our customer service, hence our staffs have been re-trained and we hope you would like our new service.

Once again thank you for your feedback to help us evolve and stay in line with the community.
Sydney
“Best yum cha.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

You have to go up a flight of stairs to enter this restaurant but it is worth it. There is an excellent yum cha daily and the a la carte dishes are also very good. This is one of Sydney's best Chinese restaurants.

• Visited April 2013