“Will recommend”

Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Located in the heart of Chinatown, East Ocean Restaurant was established in 1985 and has since been known as the most authentic Chinese restaurant in Sydney. We are committed to offering our patrons high-quality and authentic Chinese cuisines.East Ocean specialises in live seafood cooking. We keep live lobsters, king crabs, mud crabs, abalone, pipis, king prawns, and large variety of fishes in temperature-controlled tanks. All our seafood is guaranteed to be fresh and of excellent quality.In addition to its extensive live seafood menu, East Ocean Restaurant is also famous for its Yum Cha. In 2010, The Sydney Morning Herald rated East Ocean Restaurant as one of the top 10 Yum Cha restaurants in Sydney. East Ocean was also a finalist in the Best Chinese Restaurant 2010 category by The Australian Restaurant and Catering Association.Since 2009, East Ocean Restaurant broke through the barrier of Chinese dining culture by introducing the wine drinking culture together with Chinese cuisine. With our extensive experience in matching Australian, French and Italian red and white wines with our menu, we are confident that our patrons will have the utmost experience in Chinese dining. In 2010, East Ocean Restaurant was awarded 2 Wine Glasses by the Gourmet Traveler Wine in the Wine List of the Year category for its comprehensive selection, wine knowledge, and its ability to match Australian and French wines with authentic Chinese cuisines.We are proud to receive the well accredited 2013 Gourmet Traveller Wine list Award of the year, again... a well deserved 2 Glass rating!
Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

We went to yum cha at east ocean restaurant early in the morning this morning.
Is good food and goood service we had that time.
Overall is good.
Little bit expensive. lol.
We will come back for sure.
Next week we will try the golden century yum cha.

There are newer reviews for East Ocean Restaurant

Reviewed June 13, 2013

This is not what I expect of a Yum-Cha Restaurant. After being seated, that was pretty well much it. We did not see much food coming around and when I enquired as to why there were no trolleys of food coming around, I was given a form to fill in to place an order. This would have been fine had we been told in the first place. After I placed the order, the food dribbled out but I had to cancel the last two dishes as we had a show to get to.
Did they care? not really.
I didn't think you could really stuff up Yum-Cha but these guys did.
On a final note, the food was only ok.

EastOcean, Public Relations Manager at East Ocean Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Thank you for your review.

East Ocean appreciates your feedback to further help us improve our customer service, quality assurance and customer's satisfaction.

We assure you that we take every step to ensure that our food are of best quality and freshness. Therefore we practice yum cha on demand and surprisingly our patrons have been very supportive and welcoming in our practice. And this is also why our yum cha services could extend till 2am all day, 7 days a week.

We value your feedback to help us improve our customer service, hence our staffs have been re-trained and we hope you would like our new service.

Once again thank you for your feedback to help us evolve and stay in line with the community.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

You have to go up a flight of stairs to enter this restaurant but it is worth it. There is an excellent yum cha daily and the a la carte dishes are also very good. This is one of Sydney's best Chinese restaurants.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

I have come to East Ocean for 15 years. For that 15 years, EVERYONE I came across was told to come here as it was, in my view, THE best Yum Cha restaurant in the world. Almost a year ago, they took the trolleys away in the interest of "fresher food". This was not in response to customer feedback. During those fifteen years, it was hard to get a seat. Now you can see that it has lost it's hard core regular patrons. The food we had last time came all at once and half of it was cold... Very sad to see. I hope they can get it right again. I would go there again, but if I got the same experience again, I wouldn't.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

My husband and I used to visit this restaurant for lunch many years ago when we lived in and worked in the CBD.. Its pretty much the same as I remember it except that the prawns rolled in rice noodle now has only 2 prawns instead of 3 inside.. a bit of a shame that you get less for a higher price. lets blame it on the global crisis.. No seriously, the food is delicious and i wish they could come down here to Hobart and open one up :)