“Amazing Good Friday brunch”

East Ocean Restaurant
Ranked #4,525 of 6,392 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Chinese, Seafood
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Located in the heart of Chinatown, East Ocean Restaurant was established in 1985 and has since been known as the most authentic Chinese restaurant in Sydney. We are committed to offering our patrons high-quality and authentic Chinese cuisines.East Ocean specialises in live seafood cooking. We keep live lobsters, king crabs, mud crabs, abalone, pipis, king prawns, and large variety of fishes in temperature-controlled tanks. All our seafood is guaranteed to be fresh and of excellent quality.In addition to its extensive live seafood menu, East Ocean Restaurant is also famous for its Yum Cha. In 2010, The Sydney Morning Herald rated East Ocean Restaurant as one of the top 10 Yum Cha restaurants in Sydney. East Ocean was also a finalist in the Best Chinese Restaurant 2010 category by The Australian Restaurant and Catering Association.Since 2009, East Ocean Restaurant broke through the barrier of Chinese dining culture by introducing the wine drinking culture together with Chinese cuisine. With our extensive experience in matching Australian, French and Italian red and white wines with our menu, we are confident that our patrons will have the utmost experience in Chinese dining. In 2010, East Ocean Restaurant was awarded 2 Wine Glasses by the Gourmet Traveler Wine in the Wine List of the Year category for its comprehensive selection, wine knowledge, and its ability to match Australian and French wines with authentic Chinese cuisines.We are proud to receive the well accredited 2013 Gourmet Traveller Wine list Award of the year, again... a well deserved 2 Glass rating!
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were walking in China Town and saw this restaurant. I am so glad we decided to give it a try. I love dim sum, and here the variety was spectacular. They no longer push the carts, but they bring around trays of dishes, and you can see what everyone else around you is eating, which is part of the fun. We tried the shark fin dim sum, and it was great! They allow shark fins in restaurants in Australia unlike the U.S., since they use the whole fish, not just the fin. For desert, the mango pancakes are great!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Went for Yum Cha, really not worth it. Terrible service, over crowded and uncomfortable with poor quality food.

Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Dinner at this restaurant was the worst experience of our trip to Australia. My partner tried a chef-recommended steamed chicken dinner which was bland and practically unpalatable. The dumplings came with no sauce. The food came with.. well, little to no service. The servers were rude, surly, and almost condescending! The prices are outrageous for the put quality of.. Everything. Worst Chinese restaurant. Shame on the Sydney events magazine that highly recommended it and convinced us to go there. Blegh

1  Thank tgrlily2010
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This restaurant serves bland, overcooked food in a tired old restaurant environment, with exhorbitant prices. The oil our calimari was cooked in was old and tainted - yuck! The service is rushed and at times non-existent. Our wine ($40) did not arrive until after we had been served and finished our entree. Even then, we had to ask two more times for it. Food and sauces were passed to us over the heads of other diners because we were so squashed in. Bar waiters were throwing empty bottles into crates and the resultant crashes were unbearable as we were up against the bar. There is nothing to recommend this place. There are plenty of other restaurants around that serve interesting and delicious food at reasonable prices - even the food court up the road would be better than this. We paid $129 for 2 dishes, rice and one bottle of wine. We did not even leave with our hunger satisfied. AVOID at all costs.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

What a disappointing experience. I took my friends (from Italy) here on the basis of Terry Durack's SMH award for one of the best Yum Cha. Stay away from this place if you don't speak cantonese, because the waiters and managers will just ignore all your requests.

Absolutely worst service I have experienced.The service was horrendous, we ordered suckling pig with jelly fish, steamed kai-lan and a bowl of rice, 40 minutes for food to arrive with only one dish and no vegetables or rice, when we finished and asked for the bill I mentioned about the rice and the vegetables, he simply walked away to get them.

When the bill came the problem began. The restaurant tried to charge me $22 for the bowl of kai-lan (chinese broccoli). As the waiter had disappeared I requested the senior staff. I explained the situation and instead of discussing it he became rude and aggressive, enticing me into an argument.

Staff were unhelpful and stood around either laughing or yawning.
I was incredibly insulted considering the fact a scene was made and he was treating me like a senseless person.

Never again will I go back to this restaurant.

2  Thank jacky f