“Good food but terrible service”

Athenian Greek Restaurant
Ranked #1,868 of 6,058 Restaurants in Sydney
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed January 4, 2014

Four of us dined there last night - for the first time. In short, the food was very nice, but the service was so bad we would never go back again. We were told multiple times that 'sorry, your selection has run out'….having finally settled on our order, we waited for our food to arrive. It was only after 45 mins were we told that one of the main courses ordered was not available. The waiter was not bothered at all, didn't even apologise, and walked away when we were asking questions….and we hadn't even complained! We gave up waiting for drinks, and walked up to the bar ourselves to order.
Such a shame, nice food, but they don't deserve to be successful with such terrible attitude all round.

1  Thank Rob_H_34_12

Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is a very very late review. How late? Try eight years. But no matter. I still remember this restaurant and the meal I ordered with great clarity. I was on an overnight cruise ship stop in Sydney as bandleader on the M/V Pacific Princess in 2005. I had extended family in the city which made the visit quite memorable and happy. On the second day of my stay in sydney, I invited my family to lunch. We decided to give this Greek restaurant a try as it was within walking distance of the cruise ship terminal. I ordered the roast lamb. It was the most perfect lamb ever, on par with the lamb I had in Casablanca, Morocco. My family members ordered what they ordered and were quite pleased with it. With the excellent red wine (I can't remember the name, but it must have been Boutari), it was a meal that made my Sydney stop-over such a pleasure....in the company of my Sydney family. If I remember the roast lamb eight years later. it must have been that good...and it was.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife celebrated her 40th Birthday at Athenian Greek Restaurant on Saturday night for 47 people. The organisation of Athenian was outstanding - Feedback from friends and family was that the food was excellent - both in terms of the quality and quantity. My wife and I have eaten there previously and based on the outstanding food quality, value for money and of course fantastic service was the decision maker for us to have the Birthday Celebration at the Athenian. The service and attention we and our guests received was outstanding. Nothing was a problem - all the wait staff where attentive there was one young gentleman in particular that displayed the most amazing and geniune care and service - He set the standard as far as we are concerned.. Manoli and his team created a momentous experience and we cannot express our gratitude and appreciation enough. Would highly recommend the Athenian for a fine dining experience or an event.

Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

Great lunch experience, good food reasonable price friendly staff, will stop by again if have the opportunity.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

We arrived Friday night 9.00pm to a warm welcome, friendly staff and great food. the staff were very polite, service was quick and efficient without being pushy. The food was very fresh, the oyster superb. I tried the lamb shoulder and was not disappointed - awesome meal. To compliment the dish we had a pinot Noir from Victoria which was 12 years old and perfect for the meal - thanks you to the owner for the insight.
We left about 11.30 after a great night, thank you for the complete package, great decor, hospitality and food - generous quantities and great value for money.