“Lives up to its reputation”
Review of Quay Restaurant

Quay Restaurant
Ranked #58 of 5,935 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Melbourne
“Lives up to its reputation”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

This has to be my all time favourite meal. And yes probably the most expensive as well but the location, ambience, food and wine made our anniversary lunch a very memorable event. My husband and I enjoyed several hours on a Friday afternoon enjoying the degustation meal, all with a fabulous view of the harbour. Sydney put on our best for us. Thanks Quay for the memories.

Visited November 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
shanghai
“Nice presentation, that's all”
Reviewed October 12, 2013

I really love the presentation, every dish looks like a piece of art.
however, chef's experiment doesn't success in terms of the flavor.
i came there for lunch, lunch 3-course menu costs AUD150! So i set my expectation to that level.
The starter I chose is a chicken meat which is salted, which is very like chinese salted chicken style, but besides of taste of salt, there is pretty much nothing else.
the maindish is wagyu beef tartar, almost raw. The sause tastes unpleasently sticky and over salty.
The dessert is 8-texture chocolate cake. different from what I expected, the 8 texture actually has 2 textures which was placed one over one in 8 layers.that's it, and it tastes just average.
so my sincere comment is, If you are willing to pay that money to experience the excellent view of the bay, you can still go there and just lower your expectation for food.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank mengbei
Toronto, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Didn't live up to expectations”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

On a trip to Sydney from overseas, my friend booked our table for 5 ladies months in advance. We had the tasting menu, which was a mistake. The food wasn't as impressive as I was hoping, so I would have preferred less food and more choice.

The views are amazing from anywhere in the restaurant. But the food wasn't amazing for the price. Didn't finish some of the dishes because they were too rich. The snow egg was the highlight, but even that wasn't worth the money.

The other problem was that dinner dragged on for four hours. We were practically falling asleep in our food by the 5th course.

Finally, the evening ended on a bit of a sour note as we needed to split the bill 5 different ways (some shared a bottle of wine, some had cocktails) and they acted like this was a hassle. Plus there was a surcharge if you used a credit card. Who carries hundreds of dollars in cash these days?

If I had it to do over I would skip this place.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank M C
“Surpassed Expectations ”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

All we hoped for and more. Amazing flavour and texture. View from restaurant just spectacular too overlooking the harbour, between opera house and bridge.

syd
“Exceptional Fine Dining”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Love this place, food, service, ambiance! Went here for my birthday with my partner. The waiters are very lovely, the foods were superb. I had seared wagyu beef it's simply fantastic, melted in my mouth.
The only thing if you want to go here is book in advanced! My partner booked 3 months ahead for a Monday dinner and at least 6 months ahead if you are planning to go on weekends.

Visited August 2013