“Very Good...but worth the price?”
Review of Quay Restaurant

Quay Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 5,836 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: International, Australian, Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Rocks
sydney
“Very Good...but worth the price?”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Dined at Quay for the first time in late December... really enjoyable night, with some very good dishes, and absolutely fantastic wines. A couple of months on though and I can't remember what I had and how it tasted... not usually a great sign. General consensus was that entrees and deserts (yes the snow egg is cool) were winners, but mains were not as good as elsewhere. Without a doubt though the wine list and sommeliers were fantastic. Probably the best list in Sydney?

This is pretty much food tourism in Sydney... The location is great and room stunning. It's a little hard to find and if (like us) your taxi delivers you downstairs there is a very grimy inauspicious elevator to the restaurant. Very disappointed that no one in the restaurant let us know that on a weekend night its impossible (40 minute wait) to get a cab to come to the restaurant. Instead we were told to walk down to Circular Quay (not easy for ladies in heels). This combined with a very hefty bill for the night (about $150 per head plus wine), whilst not upsetting us too much, did make us wonder if Quay is so much better than Aria across the quay? At least you can get a cab there!

Recommend for tourists and first timers... probably won't go back.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank sydneyslicer

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
“Beautiful food and awesome location”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I came here for my birthday dinner and had been wanting to try the famous snow egg for a while. I had to book 6 months in advance as the restaurant was completely booked out. It was worth the wait as the food was absolutely beautiful and the presentation was stunning. I loved the poached chicken as an entree - it was so tender and delicious. A let down was the lamb, which was too bloody for my taste and i was not asked how i liked it done. However, my partner had no trouble gobbling this up. The cherry and coconut snow egg was sensational. The entire table was silent as we savoured this dessert. My partner hates cherries but loved the snow egg which goes to show how good it was. (Huge compliments to Peter Gilmore and his chefs). We also had the 8 textured chocolate cake but I didn't think it was that special. We had amazing views of both the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Harbour Bridge lit up at night and got some great photos. Very friendly staff. Quay is quite pricey but would be nice for a special occasion - make sure you book several months early!

• Visited February 2013
“Sommelier ruined the night!”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We dined at the Quay for my husbands 50th Birthday.
The evening started off very well and we were seated by the bar awaiting for the table to be ready. We enjoyed a couple of drinks and the service was great.
We were then taken to our table. I had forgotton my reading glasses and asked for a menu light. They did not have one, but I was given a torch! This was a little embarrasing and not very elegant. The waitress (from NZ) was really courteous and explained the menu. We were then approached by the Sommelier. He asked if we need assitance in choosing wine, we told him we were struggling to read the menu in the light and need a few more minutes. In the end we went with a Woodland Wine from WA, something we were familiar with. This was not an expensive bottle which in turn changed the service! The Sommelier returned with the wine and asked if we required it decantered. We were not sure and said thats ok. He then mocked us loudly and said "What you dont want it decantered!", this was very embarrassing and made us both feel very small amongst the other diners. Not a good start to the night.
The rest of the evening was really lovely and the food was excellent. The views were magnificent.
Really dissappointed the smallest man in the place made us feel small.
He may have a great knowledge of wine but a course in manners wouldnt go a miss!
All the other staff were excellent.

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank trish63baby
Durham, United Kingdom
“A very special meal”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

We visited Quay on the evening of our wedding in Sydney. As only my husband and I travelled from the UK to Oz for the wedding, we thought we could really treat ourselves.

We had the tasting menu with matched wines and it was undoubtedly a special meal. Not all of the courses were perfect. For example, we felt that the grapefruit in the lobster sashimi completely over-powered the delicate lobster meat. Most, however, were absolutely sublime. Staff were attentive and friendly and the matched wines were explained in a way that was both accessible and interesting.

I did feel that it was a little cheap to not give us a complimentary glass of fizz to toast our marriage with although I’d made staff aware that it was a special occasion. Some of the dishes also seem to showcase technical skill rather than focusing on the quality and flavour of the produce. A wonderful evening but I have eaten better food for a fraction of the price.

• Visited December 2012
“Perfect in every way.”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Amazing food, Service and setting. We were worried we had over hyped going to Quay after spending months looking forward to it. Not a chance, it was even better! I couldn't imagine bettering the evening my wife and I spent at Quay. Perfect!

• Visited October 2012