“Wonderful Bistro Food and Knowledgeble Service”
Review of Bistrode - CLOSED

Cuisines: European, French
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed February 16, 2012

I really loved this place and am surprised it doesn't rate much higher in TA. I think the reason that is, is that it has developed into a local Bistro without too many visitors frequenting it. This is no mean feat for the heartland of Sydney dinning Surry Hills. Just note that there is another restaurant in the city called Bistrode CBD run by the chef's partner.
The restaurant is in a old shop front with marble topped tables and tiled floor and wall, it could have been an old butchers shop in a previous life. The place was half full on a Wednesday night and most of the crowd were well know to the single very professional waiter working the floor. The food is a mixture of european and asian but not mixed on the same plate, you had corned beef with potatoes or pork belly szechuan but no strange east meets west. Wine was a short but well thought out list with some exotics and by the glass were excellent, pre dinner martini was a highlight.
If you live in Sydney it would be a great local but if you are visiting a great place to eat like a local.

Reviewed April 18, 2011

Visiting Sydney from US and had been doing a great deal of upmarket dining. Was taken by a local to Bistrode in Surrey Hills for a little light relief. what a joy! Lovely canopied shop front entrance - very bistro. Quite small - maybe 30 to 35 diners and a mix of sort of Franglaise style bistro fare. Great winelist with great value drops. I must admit we imbibed quite heavily so my thoughts about the place are possibly a little shiraz tinted. There's no doubt I'll be a regular here during business trips. I think this is more the kind ofplace I'd expect to find in Melbourne

Reviewed July 25, 2010

The waitress although pleasant was pretty stressed out- I would be too with a full restaurant and basically being the only one on deck- granted it was mid-week but the place was almost full so hence, we waited quite a while to get served- we both had the grass fed steak- bit too grey for medium in my opinion- just pink. The desserts were bloody terrible- the honey tart with peanut butter ice cream was inedible- I cant explain the taste- it was like leaving a jar of honey in the fridge without a lid for six months- it was full of granuals and the base was stale. The chocolate pudding- which I make at home- was way too rich- sickly. The sourdough tasted too much of vinegar too.
So, it certainly was not what we were expecting and we wouldn't go back.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I wanted to love it - but I didn't. In fairness, my entree of pupkin tart was possibly the best tart I've ever eaten - and still it couldn't save the night. Between corned beef coming out in a big puddle of water, the cold restaurant (even with heaters!), or the female owner sitting behind us and loudly discussing childbirth and how" annoying it is to be in the paper on the weekends" - the restaurant showed bad form and perhaps owners who are getting too big for their boots? Not giving it another chance.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 26, 2008

Quite disappointed - food took too long, service poor although food was good the other things let the experience down (not to mention place was bloody cold!)

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook