“Our favourite restaurant in Sydney”
Review of The Sardine Room - CLOSED

The Sardine Room
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled in potts point, amongst the busiest eating strip in the area, the sardine room offers it's patrons seafood options at affordable prices in a casual, yet professional environment. The sardine room and its experienced team is able to cater for any occasion, from casual parties, intimate dinners for two, formal or cocktail functions. The sardine room offers bistro styled dining. Please contact us for inquiries regarding your next function.
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We returned to the Sardine Room this year after discovering it on our annual trip to Sydney last year. We were staying at the Blue Hotel at Woolloomolloo (never could spell that) and this restaurant is a 5-10 minute walk away (but up a huge flight of steps-good for working up an appetite). It's small and intimate and cosy but with outside seating on the pavement in a street which is quiet. Angela and her husband are warm and friendly and you will be greeted by a 'whatever you want-you are in my house now'. The food is fabulous-with an emphasis on fish everything is very fresh. On our several visits we've had the whole snapper-amazing, the calamari-amazing, the soft shell crabs-amazing, the red thai curry cod-amazing. What can I say the food is amazing! Make sure you also try the Vietnamese salad and the almond and orange pudding. Angela will make whatever she can gluten free for you and as we found out when we turned up with a vegetarian friend she will just have the chef rustle something up if there is nothing to suit-a fabulous butternut squash risotto in this case. And being Oz you can take your own wine which helps keep the cost down. We love this place and can't wait to go back next year-just a shame it's so far away! We were treated like guests not customers.

1  Thank ph0ebe48

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us with Angela sitting down with us to "get to know us" before making a recommendation. We had lamb and some local wine that was so very complimentary to the lamb. We enjoyed 2 dinners here, and would go back more, except it's an 18 hour flight from home!

1  Thank DuchessKathy
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just returned from Sydney and our boutique hotel was literally across the road from this tiny restaurant. Being visitors we couldnt book in advance and first evening were told no tables were available although there were only three tables being used. Thinking we were too early we went next door! However I kept an eye on the vacant tables and sure enough they remained vacant even when we were finished our meal! At the end of our vacation we tried again and were told we were "in luck". The place is tiny and our table was squashed in the back of the room I can see where they get their name.! Our meal was not very memorable the food fresh the scallop dish was obviously made with frozen scallops because they were rather tough. The waiters were very pleasant and the winelist was good if very limited - but then again if you have good wines why increase the list to include perhaps inferior varities! All in all the place was worth a visit if not worth all the hype!

1  Thank starz
Reviewed March 29, 2013

After 6 months of geographical separation from my fiance, I was looking forward to great food and atmosphere to celebrate our first meal together. I have a food allergy and when making the booking I was assured it'd be taken care of and it was. I can't speak highly enough of the wonderfully warm staff, the great drinks and most of all, the superb food. Generous serves, I was eyeing off the dessert menu but I was totally satisfied after the main course and had to skip it.
I would return to the Sardine room in a heartbeat!
(The restaurant is on the small side and although it was packed to the rafters and buzzing with conversation, it was still conducive to a warmly romantic dinner. The couple next to us were celebrating their engagement the same day and at other tables there were large and small groups and other couples. It's a suitable place for any sort of occasion and restricted only by the number of people it can hold.)

2  Thank rinderpeste
Reviewed March 23, 2013

My partner and I visited here on a Saturday night for a special occasion, based in large part on the great reviews on TripAdvisor, but also based on recommendations from Potts Point locals.

We were greeted upon arrival by the owner herself, which was a great touch! We then had the most fantastic seafood here - for appetizers we had pan-seared scallops on cauliflower puree, with pancetta and beetroot crisps, and the salt and pepper squid with aioli. Both were delicious - great portion sizes for an appetizer and full of flavour; the squid in particular was just lightly battered, so the flavour of the squid and aioli really came through.

Main courses were just sensational - we would thoroughly recommend both the crispy-skinned whole baby red snapper and the fish moussaka; again, serious portion size here, which made the $34 price tag more than worth it for each. I quote my partner about the red snapper in saying "that was the best piece of fish I have ever eaten"

It's BYO with corkage at $4 per person, which we took full advantage of, so didn't taste the wine off the menu.

We sat outside on the street, which was buzzing on a Saturday night and did get much busier over the course of the evening, along with the restaurant itself - I can see why previous reviewers would have said it wasn't the most romantic of restaurants as a result. It's not a first date venue, but it's a great spot for good friends/couples looking for exceptional food and friendly service. We'll be back to try the rest of the wonderful menu soon!

1  Thank Tash2071