“Unfortunately over-rated, could have better tasting seafood at this price”
Review of The Sardine Room - CLOSED

The Sardine Room
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Nestled in potts point, amongst the busiest eating strip in the area, the sardine room offers it's patrons seafood options at affordable prices in a casual, yet professional environment. The sardine room and its experienced team is able to cater for any occasion, from casual parties, intimate dinners for two, formal or cocktail functions. The sardine room offers bistro styled dining. Please contact us for inquiries regarding your next function.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was looking forward a great night out on Valentine's day after reading all the great review in Trip Advisor and Eatability. The $16 entree squid ink ravioli with duck yolk was quite unique, but the serving is pathetic for that price. Only 2 ravioli, 1 each with my partner.

We could have made a mistake at choosing Chinese and Thai influence dish in a Western restaurant. We had a deep fried baby snapper with soy, ginger and onion sauce and Blue cod with red curry and pumpkin. Both were too sweet to our liking. The curry wasn't at all spicy. To be fair the seafood is fresh. Not fishy at all. But I don't really know what to make out of their cuisine, they have Italian, Chinese, Thai and other kind of dishes.

For a $36 main, the red snapper don't even come with any side dishes, i was told I can add $10 Vietnamese salad which I chose not to. Jasmine white rice would be a great companion with the fishes, but I don't see it in the menu.

The total bill amount to $110 for 2, I had much better meals at $25-40 per perso. Both of us were quite disappointed. I am really surprise so many people have written that they are coming back. I won't.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just a few steps from our hotel, this quiet restaurant with outdoor seating served some of the best food of our entire trip! The owner was gracious and enjoyed talking to all her patrons. Truly a find!

1  Thank HappyTravellersTw0
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This restaurant is small but packs a punch. It is situated on Challis Ave in Potts Point and is a very 'happening' place with a buzzy atmosphere. The inside is small and intimate but also spills out to several tables on the street.

The food here deserves all the superlatives it receives.The presentation is inspirational - from subtle to pyrotechnic. The menu is incredibly well constructed and includes a few surprises. The fish Moussaka is quite novel and obviously takes its provenance from the owner. The restaurant uses only the finest ingredients and the cooking is precise, consistent and up there with the best. There is an extensive wine list and the passionate owner certainly knows her stuff. The restaurant is expensive but well worth a visit.

Just one polite and respectful observation if I may? I enjoy a bit of schmooze - but sometimes - less is more.

Reviewed January 30, 2013

We were in Sydney three years ago and we accidentally found this restaurant while out walking and decided to try it for dinner, it immediately became one of favorite places to eat. We were back again in Sydney in November and it was still the same.
Rod and Angie are the perfect hosts and so friendly as are all of their staff. Lots of new tasty dishes on the menu including blue cod mousaka, soft shell crab both really delicious ! And still amazing is the fish pie !!! Great for couples and groups of friends too. We hope to be back in Sydney next year and it will definitely be one of our first stops. My step daughter lives in Sydney and it's also a favorite restaurant of hers.

1  Thank Traceypc
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table for two on a Friday night and can report that the entire experience was a delight. The food, wine and service were excellent. We sat near another couple from a farm well out of Sydney who said that they make a point of eating at this place about once a month and make the trip to do so! Since this occasion was for our wedding anniversary we could only agree. Nothing pretentious - just great value and a lovely well constructed menu of delights.

1  Thank calexb