“Selah: giving thanks”

Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed September 23, 2012

For many years I meant to try Selah but not until last week did I manage to make it there for lunch, a double birthday celebration for me and my man. The menu delighted us so we opted for the special, two courses for $45.

His salt and pepper squid was sensational, only lightly battered and perfectly cooked with fresh shredded chillis giving some texture but not too much heat, and a dipping sauce that was quite complex, a perfect flavour foil for the squid.

Having just donated at the Red Cross blood bank, we both took the red meat option and chose the beef fillet with Cafe de Paris butter and potato leek galette. His was rare, cooked to his utter satisfaction, mine was cooked medium and served juicy and pink.

I opted for the pavlova dessert but feared I had chosen unwisely as it's an old family favourite, but - wow, what a magic combination of flavours with the rosewater adding a scented top note in perfect harmony with the zing of blood orange and fragrant strawberries. I ate every bit including the decorative swirl on the plate.

With a good bottle of wine around the same price as two courses the lunch was not really expensive. Selah is now our chosen destination for great dining in the city.

1  Thank HappyItinerant

Reviewed September 23, 2012

My wife and I ate here and really enjoyed it. The food is well prepared, nicely served, and very good. It was an enjoyable dinner while on vacation.

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Invited our university daughter and two friends for dinner...two vegetarians and me gluten-free...not a terribly extensive menu but we were able to find choices for all...had the steak which was tender and delicious - the girls had risotto which they loved and an eggplant dish. Beet salad was interesting and tasty...they really seem to take care in using the best ingredients and preparation. This is a place for foodies and discerning diners - like us! Yum!

1  Thank Shari F
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Now don't misunderstand me - this restaurant also serves dinner and very very good it is too. I had the fish and chips and honestly have never had batter so light. My husband enjoyed the beef fillet which was also very good. But it's dessert I want to talk about - in particular the cherry parfait. My mouth is watering just thinking about it! It was exquisite - from the parfait to the butterscotch macadamias and everything in between - totally yummy. Will definitely be going back before we leave Sydney and I may well skip entree and mains and just have three desserts!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

I dined here for dinner and I found the food ordinary and passable. I had the steak which was cooked bang on to my instruction, but there was nothing that really shakes my imagination or titillate my tastebuds. They had a fancy beef pie which I found over seasoned.