“Nice place to go with nice presented food.”
Review of Foveaux Restaurant and Bar - CLOSED

Foveaux Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Good restaurant with well presented food, however if you are looking for extraordinary experience- I would consider other places.
Pricing ok, great services

1  Thank SReam0n

Reviewed December 17, 2012

My partner and I had a wonderful night at Foveaux Restaurant a few nights ago after being recommended by a friend. We started with a glass of sparkling wine before deciding on the amazing 8 course tasting menu with the matching wines. As there was two of us we chose to try both options at each course so we could each try everything on offer.
Some of the highlights were the Japanese style Bonito with Black sesame and micro salad served with a Sake; the smoked duck with a tiny broccoli and cuttlefish salad; and my favourite - the baked rainbow trout with soya braised veal tail. They served some excellent wines from a mix of European and Australian vineyards. The waiting staff friendly and really knew every detail of the meal and the ingredients which is rare these days. So this is a place we will be going back to I'm sure.

1  Thank stephen787
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Arrival with a friendly greeting, whisked into a sumptuous bar with in house made cocktails and a seamless transition into the dinning room for. 6-8 course deviation is sumptuous food and superbly matched flight of wines well priced and executed menu hard too find such lovely wonderful symmetry of wine food and service . Yum

5  Thank W0rldcitizenkiwi
Reviewed November 25, 2012

This is my fifth time at Foveaux Restaurant. I have referred many friends in the past and also organised my head office team at NAB here for Xmas one year. From our experience with the maitre'd last night 10.11.12 it will be my last. As a group of six adults and one infant I was welcomed with a very rude and patronising maitre'd who was absolutely cold towards the fact that I had a baby with me. Mind you we advised them in advance, and through out the entire night my son was quiet. We've taken him to many other fine dining restaurants prior and know that he has always been well behaved, hence why I had taken him. Upon entry, the man who served us said to us rudely whether our son would be able to sit on the normal chair as they do not have high chairs. He loudly asked whether my son would "soil" their chairs! I was absolutely livid! We decided to get our pram and let him sit in that as I wouldn't want to soil their already dirty chair! Never has any other restaurants of higher hat rating treated us in this manner. If it was my husband and I, we would of left, however it was for our friends birthday, which I once again recommended Foveaux. Food was adequate, but a lot more variety in previous experience. We had the degustation which was nice. Sadly, I won't return and won't be organising any future dining with friends or for work. The male maitre'd needs to smile and stop being patronising towards guests with young ones. I believe he was trying to be nice the end of the night when he realised my son never made a single noise. Too late mate. Absolute disgrace to have such a person welcoming customers.

3  Thank Ulive2travel
Reviewed November 16, 2012

This is one of our favourite restaurants, and we took our daughter who had never been there before. Great food and service, but could do with a makeover - especially the floor coverings.