“Go celebrate any occasion at Tharens and you will have the time to remember!”
Review of Tharen Restaurant & Bar - CLOSED

Tharen Restaurant & Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Kings Cross
Description: Here at Tharens we just love to throw a great party! Every Saturday night we hold our Alice In Wonderland Themed Night, from a mysterious bookcase to an array of silly hats, wigs and feather boas accompanied by a musical journey that takes you through the 60s, 70s and 80s which climaxes the night dancing to classic songs, we will ensure your special night filled with lasting memories At Tharens we cater for ANY special occasion, from hens, birthday to corporate events, the diversity of customers is amazing, and the fact that they all dance and party the night away makes this venue one of Sydney's best. The Tharens theme night is available on Saturday however we can hold parties all throughout the week depending on the size of your booking. The restaurant is open Tuesday - Friday serving contemporary A La Carte Italian cuisine from 5pm-10pm. Due to popularity the themed nights are reservation only and we do recommend to avoid disappointment to book as far in advance as possible.
Reviewed February 5, 2012

I have been to Tharens on a number of occasions and have had the best time every time. The staff are amazingly friendly,happy and efficient all night even though it gets so busy they're run off thier feet. On one occasion i accidently spilt red wine on a strangers white shirt and one of the staff members went to buy a new shirt for the man so his night wasn't ruined!Hows that for service?!The food is delicious and the atmosphere is always fun and upbeat!

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Had an amazing night here. This restaurant is filled with hats and wigs, they serve you a three course meal that is lovely! My overseas visitors were up dancing by maincourse and didn't sit down until we had to pay the bill!

What a brilliant concept!

2  Thank Monsterminx
Reviewed December 6, 2011

With so many snobby bars and restaurants in Sydney "it's cool to be uncool" at Tharens. We (my party of hens) arrived on a red carpet, which all the girls loved into a 50s Cabaret bar filled with hats, wigs, feather boas and masks to play dress ups in and unwind. We sip champagne by the bar before being whipped to our table by snow white, Alice in wonderland and all the other staff in costume. The menu isn't set with six choices of mains and entrees which where delicious I might add. Dancing and drinking to classics I thought I had forgotten. Not to mention that for dessert the speciality ice cream cake the gets flombayed on your table with brandy and sparklers to music like going to the Chappell if your a hen. Next thing you know there are limbo sticks and Congo lines through the venue and before you know it every one has had an amazing night of memories.

Ps there is also a photographer that tags all your photos on Facebook if you would like to make the bf jealous :)

2  Thank Sexysex
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Well if you like to be squished in like sardines so you can't actually talk to anyone at the other end of your table, like paying $$$ for pub food, and like being called a liar by the floor manager than Tharens is your place to go!

Don't do it unless your desperate or can score a cheap voucher!

Reviewed July 25, 2011

I went to Tharens in a large group for a friends engagement party and I have to say it was a fun night all up! The food we had was great and the entertainment was fantastic! Although with the main attraction being a drag queen, make sure none of your fellow diners would be made uncomfortable by a lot of gay jokes. The magician was amazing and had us wondering "how?!" all night!

My only comments would be that they do stuff everyone in quite tight so if you can get a seat not pushed up against the wall.
Dont go hungry - the night started at 7pm and entree didn't arrive until 8.30. They do (now, I assume its recent going by the previous review) have salads and breads to snack on while you're waiting for your food but it can still be a long wait.
Dont go tired - we went on a Friday after work and my partner and I left at around 9.30 - our mains still hadn't arrived. We weren't annoyed really, it's spaced out to be enojyed for the whole night and I think it finishes at 11pm.

The food we had was delicious but dont be fussy about table manners, your food may go cold waiting for the rest of the groups food to arrive. But be comforted that they will most likely be too busy singing along or having a laugh to notice.

In the end, if you're looking for a fine dining experience this is not the place for you - but if you're looking for a fun night packed full of silliness you're in for a real treat. I absolutely plan on going back - as long as I can find a cheap voucher again.

4  Thank kazleberry