“Amazing food”

Ranked #233 of 6,392 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Toko's 'less is more' philosophy presents Izakaya dining in its finest traditions. Toko's principles are based on the seamless integration of food, drink, service, design, and most importantly their team of people who make it possible. At the heart of Toko is a strong team of dedicated industry professionals overlooking key aspects of the operation, each bringing with them a wealth of knowledge and international experience. The team is the backbone of the business and ensures Toko provides their customers with a unique luxury experience, combining highly personalised service in an exemplary restaurant setting.
Reviewed September 23, 2013

We popped in on a Thursday night and was initially told that we would have to wait about 40 minutes for a table. We were only seated at the bar, Tokonoma, for about 20 minutes before we were shown to our table.
We chose to go with the tasting menu which was a great idea - it really was a showcase of the range of foods they had to offer. Also, don't forget to try one of their delectable cocktails!
Will definitely be back the next time I'm in Sydney.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

My partner and I went to Toko a couple of weeks ago on a whim and had the most delightful evening. The good was superb and the service was excellent. We then returned the following week with six of us and once again the food was superb, but I have to say the service was certainly lacking this time around. We were at the front of the restaurant and it seems that we were mostly forgotten throughout the evening. Considering the price tag of 150.00 per head, not quite good enough. Will I return though... yes.... perhaps not with a big group though and only the two of us.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Every time I visit Toko they never disappoint. It can sometimes be a little difficult to get a table but the manager makes every effort to get you in within a reasonable time frame. The food and service is just as good early on in the week! The cocktails almost match the food in some cases. The mixed sushi/sashmi are always excellent. I have been with a group of 10 or just the 2 of us and the service and quality never change. To maintain the high level of food, service and atmosphere consistently is a credit to all involved.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

The ambience of the bar, the hum of the busy restaurant and the sushi bar in full view gets me every time! This is one of my favourites, when I feel like Japanese I immediately think 'Toko", plenty of our friends have visited on our recommendation and to date nobody has been disappointed, you just need to know that bookings are not available. The sharing nature of the plates can be intimate if you are a couple and fun in a group setting, not cheap but worth it if you are splashing out, great wine selection too and the sake....oooohhhh watch that sake!! Yum!

Reviewed June 10, 2013

Went there by "accident" ... from the outside, you'd hardly know Toko was there, but we were drawn in by the soft lighting. Lots of different spaces inside (we sat at the bar), varied textures and mellow music as well. Best dish out of the five we had (and if only we'd had room for more!) was the smoked miso king salmon - truly melt-in-your-mouth. All the dishes were beautifully presented and quick to arrive. Great place.