“Japan iin Sydney”

Neighborhood: The Rocks
Sydney
“Japan iin Sydney”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Very small and perfectly charming high end Japanese. Lunch is the more affordable bet. Superb bento boxes make a wonderful meal - wagyu or rudder fish melt in the mouth. Dinner prices are sky high. yoshii has some of the best sashimi in Australia - Azuma is a worthy alternative, but an altogther different experience as it is less intimate

1 Thank CPC68

Porto-Vecchio, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Typical gastronomic Japanese restaurant !! My fetish place definitely ! :-)”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

HI everybody !
Very charming place with a nice sushi bar and a lovely restaurant, quiet, zen....I am pretty interested about gastronomics restaurants. ( in Paris I have tasted many michelins stars restaurants). I also loveeeeeee Japanese food, You know what I mean ? Not sushi train or some bloody stuffs like that... NO, I love typical japanese food, like a good quality of fresh fish, home made tofu, creatives sauces, amazing flavours.. The Chef in Yoshii restaurant is a real Japanese "sushi chef " , I have tasted the "christmas menu", it was just awesome !!! Very nice flavours, an amazing plate of sushi... And there is also a very nice cellar! If you like Japanese food (waguy beef, salmon, king fish, tunna, ginger, yozu, tofu...) You will love this restaurant ! FRESH HIGH QUALITY products and HOME MADE !! Rare at this time !!! Now it's the place I want to go to eat some delicious sushi.... Good new : they will change the menu soon and "à la carte" is available also. So Have Fun :-) :-)

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank EmilieSydney
“Decent sushi, not amazing or anything, and terrible terrible value”
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Wow! This place is really a rip off! They add 10% to the bill on "public Holidays" and another 2% if you want to use a credit card. The servings are TINY!!! And by that I mean minuscule... $350 later we left saying " ok... So... Where to for dinner now". Sheesh, whoever reviews this needs to learn what good sushi actually is. This is only decent, sorry.

1 Thank Maradenver
Devonport, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“overpriced and understaffed”
Reviewed May 19, 2011

Having first given the restaurant the right of reply to my concerns before publishing them for all to see they did not reply.

My wife and I had the degustation menu on a 'busy' Friday night. There were at least 8 other diners in the restaurant. This should have told us something to begin with.

The 2 waiting staff were obviously new and had no idea on how to serve. There was confusion as they came from the kitchen on several occassions. Eight diners-not that hard.

Whilst the food itself was tasty and inventive the size of the servings were ridiculous. After 7 courses my wife and I both left hungry. Hungry enough to grab some takeaways on the way back to our hotel. For $140 a head I expected a whole lot more.

The icing on the cake was when we ordered 2 cups of green tea to finish. At $5 per cup this was outrageous. We had just paid $280 for meal that would barely fill 1 person and we were charged $10 for 2 cups of tea.

Yoshii obviously caters for 1 off diners and that must be how they justify their prices as they know they won't be back.

What a disappointment. At least the restaurant could have addressed my concerns personally before I resorted to this.

Get you act together Yoshii. You're a disgrace.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank Diner12345-12345
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Excellent Japanese in the Rocks area of Sydney”
Reviewed April 30, 2011

The presenattion of food is divine and tastes as good on the fork as it looked on the plate.

• Visited December 2010