“Spectacular Waterfront Restaurant- Stunning views”
Review of South Steyne

South Steyne
Ranked #1,161 of 6,486 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Heritage listed, unique art deco styled venue specialising in tour groups and Function events.
Reviewed July 14, 2013

As part of a group of 90 guests (mostly Lion loving Brits) I had the pleasure of dining aboard the stylish South Steyne last Saturday evening. Firstly, the ship is beautifully refurbished in gorgeous art deco fittings and has one of the best waterfront views a Sydney restaurant has to offer. The food was good and appropriately priced. The waitstaff were extremely polite and friendly. Overall, the group I was traveling with were very happy with the whole experience. Stunning views. Fireworks! Mouthy watering steak! Perfect for what we were looking for. I look forward to returning.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

My family was visiting from Holland and I got told by friends to go for dinner here. Not knowing that it would be an old 1930's steamship and now a restaurant! There we're 12 of us and the staff offered us the restaurants boardroom (apparantly the queen of england had dinner here as well!) it was an amazing experience. We had the seafood platters for dinner and afterwards a great view of the fireworks which my parents loved! We even went back sunday afternoon to have a drink in the sun outside on the wharf just to relax and enjoy the waterfront! A must go!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had seen the restaurant 'empty' over several days and after seeing tables with several diners on the deck outside on Sunday afternoon we finally decided to give it a go.

The initial welcome was nice and we were seated at a table of our choice. This was about as good as it got. From then the service was slow, we had at least 4 different waitresses, and they forgot a number of our drink orders. The food was dated and really bland, more cafeteria then restaurant. The whole place looked like a ghost ship, with an atmosphere to match. Such a shame, as it could be such a great place. I wouldn't eat here again.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We visited this restaurant on Sunday evening as a treat. My partner booked the restaurant 2 weeks prior and we were both rather excited as he has been working in Sydney whilst I have been in the UK. We dressed up ready for a romantic night, to be greeted by a woman at the entrance. We stated we had booked a table for 2. She led us into the restaurant and asked where we wanted to sit. Surely if you book a table it should be ready. We were then shown to an empty table. On sitting down we put the condiments and candle which was on the seat on the table, to be told to lift them up so they could put paper sheets down on the table!!! We ordered the seafood sampler platter for starters and the BBQ platter for main. The quality of the food was good, my only downfall was they never asked how we wanted the steak cooking.It came out quite rare but the staff didnt seem to care and we felt rude asking them to cook it some more. The food was slightly cooler than I prefer but the quality and taste was good.

The bill came to $170 dollars which isnt cheap for a night you didnt really enjoy. On paying the bill we were told of you did a good job in finishing the platters! I thought that was very rude! Were they insinuating we were fat! We had waited all day to eat as we had been out all day so were hungry! If staff want to comment on us finishing the food maybe they should serve smaller portions!!

Im hoping the manager reads this and maybe he could put some ambiance back into the restaurant to reflect the price tag! We are looking into other harbour front restaurants for the next week as they seem busier! Yes it has location, and heritage, and you pay the price for this. Its just unfortunate the staff and ambiance do not make up for it.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

It was a very busy Sunday long weekend in the harbour. The crowd had really gathered around harbour for fireworks. We couldn't find a seat anywhere in any of the restaurants for a simple meal to sit and watch the fireworks after a very busy day at hair expo.
Walked up to the boat, a lovely male waiter said very sorry, full about half hour wait. We were ready to go home without a meal. He then came back to us and said I have a table but not the best, we didn't care, we were so grateful.
It was great. I had calamari/salad $22.00 main meal size, very nice. My daughter had steak of the day, cooked to perfection $24.00. We had drinks but best of all we ordered KitKat
Sundaes for dessert. $15.00 each.(not cheap) They were superb!!!! Total bill for the night $100. It wasn't cheap but all we remember was the dessert and how it was so worth $15.00. Watched the fireworks. Thankyou for making our night!!