“So authentic I thought I was in France”
Review of Sel et Poivre

Sel et Poivre
Ranked #1,014 of 5,833 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French, Cafe
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Darlinghurst
Description: Set up by Daniel Perchey and family over 12 years ago, Café Sel & Poivre is the modern French café/restaurant since 1998 that you discovered the last time you were in France with this unique bistro vibe .At Café Sel & Poivre you can experience something as authentic but closer to home. Our restaurant is more than just a café. It oozes French charm and hospitality. The menu is in both English and French and the staff are warm efficient and bilingual. The food is traditional French, from "creamy sauces" of Normandie to Provençale of the East South of France and "the cassoulet" of the South West of France... A bientot donc ! François-Xavier & Gilles.
Rotorua, New Zealand
“So authentic I thought I was in France”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

From the very professional French wait staff to the numbers of french speaking guests the busy atmosphere was great. Food was very good and service impeccable. Had a fabulous night!

• Visited August 2014

Sydney, Australia
“The Best French Restaurant in Sydney”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

If you would like the best French food in Sydney this Restaurant would be the one. The service is amazing, seating and feel of the restaurant are all great, you can't go wrong with whatever is one the menu. I am sure you would love it. We visit this French Restaurant frequently also with our baby was welcome who loves the staff and flirts with them. A must visit Restaurant while you visit this beautiful City.

• Visited April 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Delicious food and seamless service.”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

I have visited this Cafe for breakfast on several occasions and enjoyed the food. Finally I went for dinner and I now wish I'd been there sooner as I thoroughly enjoyed my night out.

I dined with my husband and two well travelled friends. Our waiter, who I believe is the owner, ensured seamless service we did not need to look for a waiter and service was provided.

I ordered the Onion Soup for Entrée and it was beautiful, reminded me of my last time in Paris. My husband and our friends ordered the snails in butter n garlic, they enjoyed them very much, the snails were served without their shells.

For mains I had the Veal Liver, it was tender, cooked perfectly throughout, the accompanying sauce was divinely thick and tasty.
On ordering our waiter suggested accompanying wines a bottle of red from France, once again it accompanied my meal choices well. It also matched well with my husband's braised beef cheeks. Our waiter also suggested a perfect wine by the glass white wine for my friend. Both wines were well priced, bottle was $50 and mid - low in their available wines.

We all ordered different desserts, I had the Crème Brûlée, my husband -the profiteroles, our friends - the Tarte Tartin and the special... Poached Pear with warm chocolate sauce. All of our desserts were amazing, my Crème Brûlée cracked so loudly and was smooth n creamy inside. Just perfect!

A French Three course Dinner for four, a bottle of red wine and two glasses of white wine, in Darlinghurst , $280. Well worth a visit!!!

On Tuesday nights they run a special, two courses ( entree &main, or main & dessert) plus a glass of wine, $45. A great opportunity to try French cuisine without the accompanying holiday.

• Visited June 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Seated next to the Cool Room”
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We were given a lovely French welcome into this buzzing restaurant where the food looked delicious, only to be seated down the back of the courtyard near the coolroom. Every few minutes a kitchenhand would enter the coolroom to get food for the next meal and a horrible dank fridge smell would waft over our table spoiling the food and conversation. While the steak, liver and beef cheeks were delicious, the dessert was not! This restaurant needs to lift its game!!!

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank MarineGirl92
“Rude”
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Didn't quite get as far as eating at the restaurant, rang up to make an enquiry for a group booking and was rudely told to call back later. Now, considering one could easily spend $100 a head in this establishment without too much effort, I felt perhaps somewhere that shows a slightly more enthusiastic approach to gaining new customers would be more deserving of my business.

2 Thank OzG