“popular yam cha place”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Reviewed May 4, 2009

went there on sun 3 may with some friends at midday - busy as usual but it did not take us long to get a place- abt 10 mins. as long as u r seated in the main banquet hall close to an aisle, you will get service - yam cha carts tend to stick to the main aisle and not the periphery. normal selection of yam cha favourites. staff also speak english unlike other establishments which is good for non-chinese visitors

2  Thank cpr2exs

Reviewed March 26, 2009

We had a couple of days in Sydney this week and decided to try a couple of the better known Chinese eating places as we are very keen on Chinese food.

The first one we tried on day one was the Regal Chinese Restaurant located at 347 Sussex Street Sydney. This place is pretty much in the Chinatown area and easy to find. We went to this place to try their Yum Cha Lunch.

We arrived at 12 noon and were promptly seated in a restaurant which can hold several hundred people. There were plenty of staff to look after us and as soon as we had ordered a pot of Jasmine tea the Yum Cha trolleys started to roll our way. We tried a beef with black pepper to start. This dish cost $10 and was rather small and a bit fatty. The beef was tender and I suspected it had been marinated in bicarbonate of soda to achieve this tenderness although there was nothing in the taste of the beef to prove my suspicions. Nevertheless, it was a tasty dish although it could have been more carefully constructed. I gave it a 5.5/10 rating. If it had been less fatty I would have given it 7/10.

Next up we tried a plate of small dim sim dumplings- filling was pork with a smattering of prawn meat- four to a steamer and done well and to our liking. Dipped in a bit of chilli sauce they were soon gone. This was about $5 and I rated it a 8/10 for taste and freshness.

We could not resist the sweet pork buns and there were three to a steamer. They were of a good size and succulent and smooth and we ate them in quick time. These buns tend to be a bit greasy and we washed them down with the Chinese tea. I gave them 8/10.

An offering from the trolley of bar-b-que pork wrapped in rice paper was a treat and with a bit if soy sauce to dip them was the way to go. There were three reasonably sized pieces offered on a small plate. I gave this dish a 8.5/10.

We tried some spring rolls - three to a serve. Its a bit hard to do a bad spring roll if you are adecent restaurant and this offering was as good as most I had tried. Fillings were generous and overall I thought a rating of 7.5/10 was justified.

We found the restaurant clean, the staff helpful and the final total cost of $30.50 pretty good value - we would certainly return. I thought the restaurant was worthy of a rating between 7.5 to 8 out of 10 overall.

7  Thank rovingrabbit2
Houten, The Netherlands
Reviewed October 9, 2008

Yum Cha favorite...

2  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed September 22, 2008

Good and Tasty old brand Chinese restaurant. the main problem for this one is only parking.

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed May 10, 2008

A very special place, elegant decor, and amazing Chinese food!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook