“Highly recommended”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed July 20, 2014 via mobile

This was my first visit to Red Lantern and I enjoyed every minute if it. We had a full 3 courses with wine and it was all delicious. Even sitting outside on a very windy evening in Sydney it was very protected and warm on the front balcony. I would recommend this restaurant and will return in the future.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

We had dinner at the Crown Street Red lantern and must say it was a disappointing experience, Food was tasteless and poorly prepared we left most of it uneaten.
The entrees: Lightly battered chilli salted squid tasted floury, the Char grilled pork marinated in honey and fish sauce served with rice noodle salad was reasonable.
The mains: Salt & pepper Spencer Gulf King prawns were rubbery and bland and the Lemongrass and chilli caramel Burrawong chicken was too salty and lacking in flavour.
Other less renowned Vietnamese restaurants in comparison provide better quality food with value for money.
We wouldn't be going back, neither will we recommend it to any one.

1  Thank 4Seren
Reviewed July 15, 2014

You can tell that quality ingredients are sourced for cooking here, the food is good, fresh and clean tasting. The food was well balanced and flavoursome and hearty also.

The problem is that, for what you pay for, it's really expensive, and that's all there is to it really. It's good, but not as good as the price indicates.

I'll also mention that a dish was brought out that our table considered to be cooked improperly and they immediately gave us the option of removing it from the bill or having it remade for us, so that's definitely a positive. The service is friendly as well.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

Was very excited to visit Red Lantern as 1) love vietnameae food, 2) love Luke Nguyen's cookbooks and tv shows and so had been wanting to go here for some time. Had very high expectations of this restaurant, perhaps too high on reflection. The food was fantastic however the service was very very poor. Our group had to keep asking waiters, who seemed put out, for everything including water top up. For such an establishment I expected more considering the service that you get across the country at other Vietnamese and Asian restaurants more often than not for a quarter of the price. I felt the staff had the attitude of 'we don't need to try because people will come here anyway because of the name'. Was good but wouldn't go back.

Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

The Red Lantern is hands down my favourite restaurant in Sydney. Its not the cheapest Vietnamese you can find but its always excellent. I reccommend having one of the degustation menus so that you can experience as many dishes as possible. The ingredients are always fresh and pack a flavour punch that at times has my eyes rolling to the back of my head in bliss. The service is fantastic, attentive enough to always feel looked after but not too much that you feel hassled. Luke has been there on numerous occassions myself and my partner have been, serving tables and making sure he stops at every table to have a chat and explain the dishes. This is a place we go to time and time again for special occassions and always walk away from sining its praises.