“Yum!”

Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I love this place and I am always sure to have a detour down to Surrey Hills when I am in Sydney. The service is always impeccable. My favourite dish is the duck main but I do find the food varies a bit, it must depend on who is in the chicken but it still ranges from very good to out of this world.
The cocktail menu is fantastic too!

Reviewed September 24, 2013

I was looking forward to a great night out with friends and it soon dawned on us that we were dealing with "FAULTY TOWERS" I like the show but do not wanna really experience it for real. Food was COLD, DELAYED and there was no apology just a BAD ATTITUDE! and im not blaming the staff, they were great its the management and owner that was clearly the problem. OWNERS WHO DON'T KNOW HOW TO COOK should leave it up to the PROFESSIONALS.
the female owner was an absolutely nightmare who continually interrupted our terrible meal to distract us from the REALITY of the situation! DON'T BOTHER WITH THIS RESTURANT ITS A WASTE OF TIME! GO TO A MORE TRADITIONAL VIETNAMESE PLACE. CHEAPER, FASTER, FRESHER AND YOU WILL STILL HAVE MONEY IN YOUR POCKET TO PAY THE RENT!!!!! X

Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I live in London and love watching Lukes show, so when I came to Sydney I wanted to eat here with friends. We had the tasting menu with matching wines. It was quite pricey but that was fine. The courses came up so quickly that I could finish my wines quickly enough, I felt rushed and I didn't like it. I had 4 wines stacked up as I couldn't drink them fast enough, we were never asked if we were ready for the next course, the restaurant was not packed so I don't know why the hurry. The food was tasty and I enjoyed it, there was plenty of it and some great flavours going on but I wasn't blown away. The most off putting thing for me was when I saw one of the chefs walk into the toilet and back out without washing his hands and straight back into the kitchen. Then on the way back from the toilets were bins of rubbish and food, I could see them clearly and smell them, all just a bit grim and unhygenic. Luke, sort your staff out your restaurant is going downhill!

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I didn't enjoy the cockroach crawling on my face nor the gastro I still have a week later!!
I won't bother saying anymore

1  Thank designfanatic
Reviewed September 12, 2013 via mobile

Firstly I was very disappointed with our last visit to Red Lantern which really will be our last.
I found the banquet menu very very expensive for what you get. I understand Vietnamese has a complexity of flavour which this restaurant delivers - but I honestly believe I could have whipped up the same in my kitchen at home which is not what you want for the prices you pay.
The service I found very rude - and we felt extremely rushed even though the restaurant wasn't full.
Very average to below average experience I'm afraid.