“Excellent Steak and Red”

Prime Steak Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 6,421 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Voted Australia's Best Steak Restaurant for the past 13 consecutive years; Prime offers a first-class dining experience. With New York style interiors, heritage listed sandstone & our exceptional sommelier on hand - Prime is the ideal venue for the most discerning client whether it be for a private event for 10 or 130 guests. Prime offers 18 premier steaks including Wagyu, Black Angus and Hereford Yearlings ideal for steak lovers, but also offers a variety of seafood, poultry and vegetarian dishes. Its exceptional staff and expert sommelier are on hand to assist you with your food and wine selections. Through its cool, timeless, elegant interior and attention to detail Prime is the ideal location for lunch, dinner or a private function.
Reviewed July 18, 2014

I eat here every 6 months or so and wonder why I don't visit more often. Had the ribeye as usual and it was a superb piece of week, perfectly cooked, and with a selection of mustards (watch out for the hot English - it has a kick), and a great red wine, I was in foodie heaven.

Atmosphere is a bit 'businessy' but that's what I was doing so I shouldn't complain. Service exemplary although a little......mmmmm.......'pretentious' perhaps? Don't want to be too critical but they seem a little 'standoffish'. For that, and the fact that it's a bit up there in price I dropped it a star but I've probably done them a dis-service as you get what you pay for and you really get a good steak and red here if that's what you're after.

Definitely be back.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Enjoyed a quite dinner for 3 at this well renowned steakhouse ? As expected the quality was exceptional with the focus on steaks and their accompaniments. Delicious sides and sauces with an very extensive wine list that encompass's the best of the wine regions of Australia.
If at all the wait for the main was a little long but if you are not hurry its well worth it ?

Wonderful dungeon like atmosphere in this historic building really compliments the food, tables are well spaced providing plenty of privacy in terrific subdued lighting.

Pricing is reasonable given the location, atmosphere and top steaks !

Reviewed July 9, 2014

My partner and I shared the chateaubriand (serving is for two people), had the mushrooms and a tomato salad for sides, and then banana souffle for dessert. The food really was excellent. I do think it is too dear to warrant anything other than a special occasion (we went for a birthday celebration). The service is good and we had no trouble getting a table on Friday night without a reservation. My biggest complaint - it is so dark we could barely read the menu or even see our food - turn up the lighting a bit please, Prime!

Reviewed June 26, 2014

fantastic if you can afford it, wow some of the prices are out of this world, however so is the food.

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

This place is warm, accommodating and surprisingly lacking of the stuffiness you find in this sort of atmosphere. Nick is an exceptional waiter and tour on this food experience. I had a slight hick up with my order that was quickly overcome, and every dish at our table of four was well received. At mixed table of carnivores and vegetarians this is impressive. Save room for dessert and be willing to expand your horizons for some of the most interesting accompaniments you'll likely come across.

Joe C.