“Fun restaurant”

Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: For authentic pub dining, Phillip’s Foote offers a quintessential Australian experience. Cook your own steak or fish on one of our courtyard BBQs and complement with your choice of fresh side dishes from our salad bar. Wash it down with one of our hand-picked wines or beers. With its heritage atmosphere and historic charm, Phillip’s Foote has a dining option for everyone; couples, small groups, larger events. Winter or summer, from the intimate Phillip room, to the picturesque Sydney Cove Room or Garden Courtyard, there’s plenty of nooks and crannies to explore.
Reviewed June 4, 2019

From outside Phillips Foote looks nothing, but inside it’s really interesting, I suppose you would call it a barbecue restaurant, the idea is you buy your steaks or chops and cook it yourself, great fun, great atmosphere

Date of visit: April 2019

Reviewed May 16, 2019 via mobile

Most disappointing. My son and I arrived at 8:45pm, very hungry and for him it was the first time at this restaurant. I've been here many times in the past and been happy.

Anyway, we chose, paid for ($73) and grilled our steaks and when we got back to get our sides, I was shown a smattering of leftover vegetables. According to the guy in the kitchen with the Irish accent, that was it and I would find other restaurants in Sydney would be the same at this time of the night (see top right of photo).

After this lecture he did organize for some more veggies (an exciting smattering of onion & pepper) while my very expensive steak got cold.

Not sure I am coming back here again.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed May 1, 2019 via mobile

Unusual food offering in that you choose your own meat (mainly steaks) and then cook it yourself on the BBQ. Help yourself to unlimited salad or vegetables to accompany. Nice change from the usual offerings and not too badly priced considering the location. Only had water to drink with the food but went back next night for a beer.....
Quite shocked with price of drinks...21 dollars for a pint and a half of beer seems excessive even in the Rocks area!

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed April 17, 2019 via mobile

My wife and I met a friend here for dinner and drinks. What a pleasant surprise from all of the overpriced tourist rip offs in the Rocks area. We walked by several times and had no idea it was any more than a pub!
A real Aussie experience where you choose and cook your own steaks and pick your sides and salads!
Great place highly recommend to travellers looking for a unique experience!

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 13, 2019

Traditional pub when you walk in the bar, once through the bar into the terracred outside area it transforms into a DIY chooseyour own/cook yourself barbecue area.
This was a pleasant seating area.
Even though I say so myself, I cooked my steak to perfection, my wife was complimentary about her lamb chops.

I've deducted a star because my wife wasn't allowed a separate plate for her veg/ salad.
I guess this was a perk for the locals? It was clear that some customers had preferential treatment.

Date of visit: March 2019