“Fishy but nice”

Cuisines: Seafood
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Had a nice dinner here with a friend, cute cafe/restaurant with good service, small but nice menu and byo. We ordered the soft shelled crab, just beautiful, however my main of sworrdfish wasnt fresh and I had to sent back. I am lover of swordfish,but cutlet was thin and tasted aweful. I advised the waitress who was very apologetic and I changed my order to the Flathead tails, beautiful. Deserts yummy. Overall just an average fish meal and prices where above average for what it was. A bit disappointing overall.

Reviewed March 8, 2012

I have been eating here for at least 15 years if not longer, and as I can't eat fish I think that says a lot for the menu here. My friends clamour to come here for the chef's many, many ways with fish, and for me there is always something very special involving squid or prawns. Last week I had tempura prawns which were transcendent - light, airy, fleshy and plump all at once. The staff are always so accommodating, the symbiotic relationship twixt restaurant and the pub next door is always a fun element to the night, and the decor/ambience is charming. I love a good fish cafe set in an old tiled wall butcher's shop.

Reviewed December 5, 2011

I was almost tempted not to write a review on this place, so keen was I to keep this neighborhood gem to myself!

The restaurant is situated in a corner terrace house of what I assume would have once been a grocer’s shop or a café. Stepping inside is like stepping back in time by about 50 years, and it’s like entering milk bar of the 1960’s.

There is a decent selection of fish to choose for on the menu, and unlike most Sydney restaurants the prices were very good value. We ordered the Trevalla with avocado salsa which was fresh and delicious, and the fried & chips which were crisp and crunchy.

This is a great little restaurant for a cheap and cheerful neighborhood night.

Reviewed July 31, 2011

we had to wait for a table, so the girl at the counter told us to wait at the Shakespeare hotel across the road and enjoy a drink - they then came and got us when the table was ready.

service was attentive, and the girl who was still learning did a great job.

the food was delicious, although quite expensive.

the coffee at tue end of the meal was great too.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

this is a small, unassuming local chippy in surry hills but - as with most things in sydney - the food is very good. the place is very small - 4 tables and bar seating - but you can wait in the pub across the road and bring your drinks over.

food is simple but delicious - traditional fish and chips, grilled / marinated fish, fish pie etc. we had an excellent soup & then excellent fish and chips & fish pie for mains.

great, simple dinner on a wet winter night. cheerful & helpful staff.

recommended.