“A Bit of Bavaria” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lowenbrau Keller - CLOSED

Lowenbrau Keller
Cuisines: German, Bar, European, Central European
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Brunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: The Rocks
Description: Housed in a stone, heritage-listed building, in the heart of The Rocks, Munich Brauhaus is the place to be if you're looking for a range of thirst quenching (unpronounceable) Bavarian craft beers. This historic venue has had a makeover, morphing into a refreshed, more modern version of its former self - meaning the haus party just got bigger and better! While there is a strong emphasis on beer, the authentic Bavarian style menu also sets tongues wagging. The Munich-style restaurant and bar will transport you straight to Germany with their traditional dishes and female waiters dressed in traditional Dirndl dresses (settle down boys, we know you're excited!). Famed for its stellar selection of hand-crafted burgers and haus-made hot dogs, this venue has all the key ingredients to draw a crowd - and has no trouble doing so - night, after night, after night. Prost!
Munich, Germany
“A Bit of Bavaria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

When you order German food outside Germany, you expect something almost German but not as good...and definitely not better. I was there a year ago and still remember the Pork Belly, or Krustenbraten, as the Bavarians call it. Crispy, melt in your mouth. It was great.

I'm not a fan of Loewenbraeu beer, but the atmosphere was exceptional. This is a great place to hang out, drink and eat excellent Bavarian food on The Rocks in Sydney.

I'd definitely go back if it weren't 7 million miles away.

• Visited August 2012

• Greek first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
“Dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a great little piece of Germany we found in The Rocks, The service was friendly and prompt, topped with some great ales, awesomely prepared meals served outside in the quiet paved street and when we ventured inside a very rustic dining area and bar full of atmosphere. Definitely well worth the visit for a dining experience and some fun.

• Visited July 2013
Canberra, Australia
“Food not as good as I remember”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

Having enjoyed a great meal at Lowenbrau on a previous visit to Sydney we were keen to eat there again. The restaurant was busy as usual but we managed to be allocated a table without having made a booking. Our waiter was friendly and our order was taken reasonably promptly.

My husband had the traditional sausages while I opted for the chicken schnitzel with mushroom sauce, mashed potato and salad. There was some confusion with my husband's order as he requested the meal that contained the bread and mustards but arrived without both. Our waiter apologised as he misinterpreted the order and bread and mustard was provided promptly. I was disappointed with my schnitzel as I noticed it was very pink in places. I queried this with the waiter and he said 'that's how our chef cooks them, it should be slightly pink.' The first I have heard of this as chicken really shouldn't be pink anywhere so I cut around the edges and ate the more cooked pieces. It was pretty bland so thankfully the mushroom sauce was tasty. My salad was the standard fare of lettuce, lettuce, a little tomato, onion, cucumber and capsicum with more lettuce. The dressing was good though.

You can't visit Lowenbrau without sampling their excellent selection of schnapps. Delicious flavours!!

Our visit this time fell short of our expectations. Lowenbrau still packs in a crowd but I think this is more for the atmosphere and beer than the food itself.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
“Very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Went to the Lowenbrau on a cold & wet Saturday afternoon in Sydney. It was great to get inside where it was warm. The staff were very friendly. We had a street view. The meals were of a substantial size as were the beers. The German band was entertaining & brought some life to the restaurant. We were very full by the time we left. I would be happy to return here in the future.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Mmm. Beer!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

Bavarian style food including very large beers in steins. Having struggled to find anywhere to eat in the Rocks which 6 people could agree on, we went for this as soon as we saw it. Extremely large servings and way too much beer pretty much knocked us out for the next day or so. Couldn't fault the service. I think it worked out about $40 a head including beer, but I can't really remember.