“Yum!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Longrain

Longrain
85 Commonwealth St | Surry Hills, Sydney, New South Wales 2010, Australia (Surry Hills)
+61 2 9280 2888
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #92 of 4,984 Restaurants in Sydney
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: Surry Hills
Description: Longrain Sydney is located at 85 Commonwealth St in Surry Hills. Inspired by the communal eating philosophy of the Asian table, our menu is made up of dishes created for sharing. Longrain's menu has evolved from Martin Boetz's original Longrain vision, bringing South East Asian influences to carefully sourced ingredients with fresh, zingy flavours. His vibrant menu is carefully balanced with wines and cocktails chosen by restaurateur Sam Christie. Our long, shared tables encourage the spirit of eating together, so you can try each dish as part of a full tasting experience, just as it was intended (limited reservations available). Book one of our individual tables for parties between 6 - 10 people; or Private Dining Room for 12-18 guests.
Sydney, Australia
“Yum!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Although you can't book we've only been early in the week and haven't had trouble getting a table. There's a great bar downstairs to wait in though if there's nothing available.
The food is delicious - the highlights for us the filled eggnet and the silken tofu... not usually a fan of tofu but this is amazing. Service good but not great.... Definitely we'll come again...

Sydney, Australia
“clean clear flavours”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Professional staff, wonderful space. A sydney classic. Deserts are worth saving some room for. Tip - if there are 3 or 4 of you dont sit at the big communal tables - they are too wide to talk across without yelling. Ask for the tables in the old bar area on the left.

Visited May 2013
Sydney
“Go to Cockle Bay”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Food took a long time, this is a big problem as we had only a 2 hour allocated time limit. Food and service was average considering pricing was of high end. I don't mind paying high end prices, but I expect high end food and service.

• 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank borg69
Perth, Australia
“Best food ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

This restaurant is by far my favourite restaurant in the world. I have dined here with work colleagues multiple times, my teenage son, and by myself; and every visit has been a memorable one. I cannot speak highly enough of this place. I tell everyone I can that they need to try Longrain, and everyone I know who has, comes back to me with the same reaction, they LOVED it. I always look forward to my next visit to Sydney (I live in Perth)
Red Dragon cocktail is sensational!! Egg Net Salad is addictive.

• Visited April 2013
“Excellent!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Loved this restaurant. Started our evening in the cool cocktail lounge downstairs, drinks were delicious and service attentive. Dinner was amazing, started with the duck and rice cake entree which was a mouthwatering medley of flavours and textures. Had the caramelised pork hock and sour orange curry for mains, both were exemplary and delicious fusions of flavour. Shared a 'layered Longrain special' for dessert - slightly disappointed by this. It was a mix of several desserts together but they were all in the same glass meaning it was hard to get individual tastes of each. Still very tasty though. Will definitely be back, highly recommend!